Originally Posted by Sylerwin
I use API's liquid test kit.
pH was around 7.6, maybe higher. I have 2 moss balls in there right now and I try and toss in some bacteria supplement as needed. I had the betta floating in the cup in the tank for about half hour, then added some tank water to his cup, let that stay for another ten minutes or so and then carefully poured him in.
7.6 is fine, a fish will adapt to it. You were close with the acclimating, pour about /12 the water out of the bag or cup the fish is in, float the container in the tank, add a tablespoon of tank water every 15 minutes for at least an hour, then remove the fish either with your hand or a net & release, do not pour the cup water into the tank as you don't what may be in it. I suspect he was ill when you purchased him & the shock of the move was just too much, it happens unfortunately. The bacteria supplement has to be used per instructions otherwise you're just throwing your money away & in most cases it is a waste of money.