Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-12-2013, 02:10 PM   #1 
ZoeDawn

Shredded Fins!?

So a couple days ago I was changing my tanks water, and when I put my betta back in the tank I noticed he had a small tear on his tail fin (pardon my incorrect names :P) I figured it would heal up soon, as it was very small. The next day it looked like he had healed up, but then the next day he had two separate tears in different places! I was on my way to my moms and had my dad feed them for a day, and when I came back his tail was shredded! Does anyone have any clue as to what this could be, and how to help his fins heal?
ZoeDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:35 PM   #2 
ZoeDawn

Before:
Name:  IMG_5250.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  56.3 KB

After:
Name:  IMG_5601.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  60.5 KB
Old 06-12-2013, 02:50 PM   #3 
10asartin

It could be a plastic plant tearing them, the filter, tail biting, or something else. You will need to post more information on your setup and his behavior before we can assess what the issue may be.
10asartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:13 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yup that plastic plant.

You did the water bottle filter baffle right? What about the intake. That could also help the shredding. But I would be more willing to bet it's the plant doing it's work.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:29 PM   #5 
ZoeDawn

I baffled the intake and filter, I'll go ahead and take the plant out! Hopefully it'll work.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:33 PM   #6 
ZoeDawn

He already misses his little plant lol, I had thought it would be alright because it's really smooth thin plastic. I'll let you know if he improves, and I will get some more stuff for his tank as soon as I save up money :P
Old 06-12-2013, 03:38 PM   #7 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

smooth and thin still means sharp at the edges. You should use some Stress Coat to help heal his fins up. If you want, you can get some low light plants like Anubias and Java Fern, both pretty much unkillable haha so you just need 8 hours of light a day, more is fine and they're set to go. Just don't bury the rhizome on them, that's where the leaves come out of but the roots can be buried. Both will also grow on anything like filter intake tubes, rocks and driftwood if you like.

But live plants pretty much guarantee's he won't get shredded like that unless he flares too much. It's also healthier for the water ^_^ and unlike silk plants, they can multiply themselves! lol
Old 06-12-2013, 04:05 PM   #8 
ZoeDawn

I actually received a sample of stress coat with my tank, so I guess I can go ahead and add that in :) hopefully he will heal right up!
Old 06-12-2013, 05:01 PM   #9 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh good! It will still take at least a week to start healing up but with good clean water it should be good. I'd suggest to start doing twice weekly water changes on his 10 gallon so that fin rot can't settle in at all. Are your dividers siliconed in?
Old 06-12-2013, 09:24 PM   #10 
ZoeDawn

No not at this point, I didn't want to ask my parents for even more money lol, I hope to do it eventually, but not now.