Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-12-2013, 03:12 PM   #1 
Mankey

Can this work?

So I've been wanting to start a tank (or two) where I have Red Cherry Shrimp and only Red Cherry Shrimp. Since I didn't have a stand to put the tank(s) on, I decided to get a bookshelf first. Yesterday, my parents came home with some tall bookshelves for me, but unfortunately they weren't really too wide, so I wouldn't be able to fit a rectangular 2.5 gallon on it. I did the measurements, and I came out with Width: 11.75" Depth: 9.5" Height: 11.5".

So I'm kinda wondering, is there a tank that I will be able to fit on it that will also be okay for RCS? I can adjust the height, but that probably wouldn't help much.
Mankey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:40 PM   #2 
Laki

I'm way too lazy to do the math but what about a kritter keeper? I keep all my RCS in a 2.5 KK in my bathroom window ledge :)
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:53 PM   #3 
Mankey

My best option is the medium sized Kritter Keeper, which I think I remember holds 1.75 gallons. It's 11.75" x 7.75" x 8", so it should work out (my width is more specifically defined as 11 13/16", but I didn't list it as that because I doubt tanks list in 16ths).
Old 06-12-2013, 04:30 PM   #4 
Laki

Oh, I have the medium acrylic keeper from petsmart- holds 2.5 lol I'm not sure the measurements. Guess it's not KK brand though!

I wish you were closer so I could just give you some of my RCS. I have 2 batches of babies! Well, they're closer to a month and half I guess now.

From my reading, RCS are versatile in that they don't care where they live as long as the water is good. In that regard they're sensitive. But I've skipped water changes on my tank and they were fine. I have seen people keep them in those .5 g cube things fine as well.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:40 PM   #5 
Mankey

I think I also kinda wanted to have large groups. But I could also deal with having 2 smaller groups, so it shouldn't matter. :v Do they need a filter? Or would I be fine with just a heater?
Old 06-13-2013, 01:25 PM   #6 
Laki

They're prone to dying without a sponge filter to graze off. That's what I've been told, I'm sure some people keep them without a sponge filter but you can attach spongey material to any filter intake and the BB will grow. RCS like to eat biofilm.

As for population... You'll get mixed answers but with such low bioload and density you can pack quite a few RCS in a tank comfortably. I have about 5-6 adults and about 20+ babies right now.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:10 PM   #7 
Mankey

Then I guess power bills state that I can only keep one small group... oh well. Is there any heater that you think could go well in a tank that small?
Old 06-13-2013, 04:57 PM   #8 
Laki

I've kept a 25w adjustable in the acrylic before. Now it just has a preset 10w.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:10 PM   #9 
Mankey

Thank you. Now I just need to find one that I can rely on, and a filter. I'm not really used to working with properly keeping something this small...
Old 06-13-2013, 05:13 PM   #10 
Laki

I have the pennplax system http://www.amazon.com/PENN-World-Aqu.../dp/B0002565KC which hasn't failed me in the 6 months I had it running. I don't have a test kit so I don't know if it's cycled but cyclops are a good sign, no? And the pump is adjustable so you can have it on strong or light and I have it about medium so the babies don't get sucked into it and die. So far, no casualties! I have to siphon out the poop a lot more often in the week but that only helps me moniter the shrimp and see what's going on in there.