Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-13-2013, 05:25 PM   #11 
Mankey

Seems pretty good. Is it the "filter and holder" or the "filter and pump kit"? Is there a specific heater brand/model that you recommend? Sorry if I'm asking too much.
Mankey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:43 PM   #12 
Laki

I'm a super noob on shrimp myself. Just going on what worked for me since Jan. I bought the kit. It came with air hose and adjustable nozzle, air pump and one cartridge. I have not bought more because I wanted the sponge/carbon rock things to grow BB rather than be sterile.

If you can get indian almond leaf or oak leaf they LOVE blackwater. LOVE. And they eat the leaves too. The dark water makes them brighter in color too. The darker the substrate the brighter their color.

As for heaters, I am frugal and cheap so I try to get the cheapest with moderately good reviews. My topfin 25w heater has not failed me in over a year. The blue dots come off it every now and then but other than that. People like hydor and Elite products. The two presets I have are Aqueon 10w and Tetra 50w (this one is for small tanks, I have it now in my 3g and it keeps it at maximum 79F). Both are good but burn out a lot quicker than adjustables.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:46 PM   #13 
RussellTheShihTzu

You can keep 20 RCS per gallon. Get an inexpensive internal filter; low flow isn't important for shrimp like it is for Bettas. I have a Toms Mini Filter with spray bar. Shrimp like their temperatures cooler than Bettas. You'll also need plants (especially moss). Once the tank is stable, only do small water changes; say, 10-15%.

The most important think for shrimp is stability in a tank so you'll need to cycle it before adding the shrimp. While .25 ammonia won't kill a Betta; it ^will^ killl shrimp.

I love my shrimp and I'm sure you will, too. However, I killed quite a few before I learned how sensitive they are to change.

Good luck!

Last edited by RussellTheShihTzu; 06-13-2013 at 06:49 PM.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:38 PM   #14 
Mankey

20 per gallon? I thought the general rule was 10 per gallon... Oh well. I can definitely work with 20. Luckily, I also happen to be working with a bit of a budget, so I'm looking for cheap, effective heaters too. I'm going to also need to get a small light so the plants can stay alive, right?
Old 06-13-2013, 08:24 PM   #15 
RussellTheShihTzu

There's a used heater on eBay that someone returned; seller says it still works. Shiopping is $4.00 and current bid is $1.29.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hydor-25W-Su...#ht_415wt_1048

Wag.com has an internal filter; shipping is $4.99 for under $35.00. Internal filters don't need pumps.
http://www.wag.com/fish/p/koller-cra...-45-gph-226739

Also from wag.com. Come up with $35.00 and shipping's free.
http://www.wag.com/fish/p/marina-com...10-watt-112492

You can use a desk lamp or clip-on lamp with a fluorescent bulb.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:48 PM   #16 
RussellTheShihTzu

PS: Also check this forum's classifieds.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:23 PM   #17 
Mankey

That all sounds great (it really, really does), but right as I was about to bid on the heater, I decided to check how much money I have in my bank account. It turns out my budget is more limited than I thought, since I only have $47 and have no job (or job offers).

I probably will return to the site with the little (and admittedly adorable) filter once my brother starts paying off the $288 he still owes me. :v
Old 06-13-2013, 10:30 PM   #18 
RussellTheShihTzu

If you have any friends/relatives who need pet supplies, get them to add to your order and save five bucks.

I just remembered: You could put a "Wanted" ad on Craig's List. Or do a search for "aquarium." Last week a 10 gallon setup and stand went for $15.00 on the Nashville Craig's List. I often see "Wanted: Free Aquarium." Don't know if they get response.

Last edited by RussellTheShihTzu; 06-13-2013 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Craig's List
Old 06-13-2013, 11:05 PM   #19 
Mankey

It's pretty funny that you say that. I've been stalking the "free" section on my Craigslist for a while now. I've also been looking up "fish tank" on the search, and even though I used to find 2 gallon kits and smaller all the time before when I was just looking out of curiosity, it seems like all I see now is nothing less than 15 gallons. Which is a little disappointing. :/
Old 06-14-2013, 08:48 PM   #20 
Laki

A lot of the time people don't think they can make money off small tanks and either give them to goodwill or stash them in the basement collecting dust and cobwebs. Make a few ads for small tank things. You'll be surprised. :)
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote