betta fish

Old 06-14-2013, 09:51 PM   #21 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

+1
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:18 AM   #22 
Mankey

I'll try it. But I'm not 100% comfortable with asking for stuff there, especially since I think they might flag those (hopefully it'll work, though).

Oh, and as an update. I've already bought the Kritter Keeper (Petco brand, 1.75 gallons, fits pretty much perfectly into my bookshelf) and some sand (black). I'm planning on doing a small NPT. I have some dirt outside my house (in a bag, not the yard dirt), so I'll probably end up using some of that. My brother also bought some Red Cherry Shrimp for his own tank, so I'm most likely going to end up stealing some of his if the whole offspring thing works out (which it should).

So pretty much all I need now is:

-Heater (I lost the ebay auction, I think it was an outbidding bot or something)
-Filter (most likely going to buy after July 4-7th (rhymed; unintentional) because I have an expo I'm going to)
-Plants
-Maybe driftwood

... this is kinda exciting. :v
Mankey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:36 PM   #23 
Laki

Oh good!! RCS carry their eggs for a month so you'll time up perfectly with that. In the meantime you can get your things, since you want a NPT you can even start the cycle on that.

When RCS are born they are SUPER uber tiny. Good luck catching them! lol
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:55 PM   #24 
Mankey

Yup. And Russell was kind enough to help me with my whole "Filter and Heater" money issue, so pretty much all I need now is the plants and driftwood (if I can find a piece small enough). Do I need a heater and filter to start the cycle in my tank? The only other cycle I've done was a fish-in cycle, so I already had the heater and filter in there.

Also, do you have any recommendations for plants that I should be getting in there? Or does just about anything work well with them (as long as the plant stays alive)? I put the plants into the sand "cap," then the roots should grow into the soil after that, right? I might have to ask that in the NPT thread...

Also, I live in a city where Oak trees should be available pretty much everywhere, so I should be fine with that. :v
Old 06-15-2013, 09:19 PM   #25 
Laki

You're going to want plants that like low pH if you're putting driftwood or oak leaves in! I found java moss is suitable and marimo moss balls. There's probably more. The oak/IAL/driftwood will darken the water (which the shrimp LOVE) but will make it harder for some plants to grow. There's a thread about that somewhere in Planted Tank section. And yes, check out NPT threads!

You need a filter for BB to grow and thrive.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:27 PM   #26 
Mankey

I do? So I guess that'll prolong the cycle... Oh well. I read on the stickied NPT thread that a properly done NPT will go through a "silent cycle", so it should be safe a lot quicker. I'll probably end up going with only the driftwood, if anything. I'm not too confident in my tree identification abilities. I'll remember to look out for low pH plants. Thank you very much!
Old 06-16-2013, 08:44 AM   #27 
Laki

OH , well you might br right. I have never attempted a NPT! So it sounds like I'm talking out my behind lol
Old 06-16-2013, 04:39 PM   #28 
Mankey

Haha it's okay. I'm just as bad at this. I'm still trying to figure out what plants I want to put in there. But now that I think about it, I might want to try and find out the pH of my tap water first, since that decrease in pH from the driftwood might just make my pH more neutral.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:22 PM   #29 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

RCS need a higher pH and a stable tank. I learned the hard way to not add shrimp until the tank until several weeks after the cycle completed. Even with driftwood, there's little difference in my tap water and tank.

I have a ton of diffent plants with mine. BTW, I wonder if the difference in gallons is because the measurements include the lid? Try measuring just the tank part and see if that's closer to the 1.75 gallons.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:26 PM   #30 
Mankey

The actual height is 6.75, leaving the tank at 2.661 gallons.