Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-12-2013, 07:01 PM   #1 
Roemgie

Are these a good breeding pair? And would you want one?

Ok so a few weeks ago I got some girls off aquabid...well one turned out to be a boy and he is an incredibly Handsome boy!

Now I never really thought about breeding until several people poked me about it and my biggest thing about breeding was not having enough how for all the offspring.

I wouldn't breed until about Mid August to September because that would be the best time for me to be ready BUT that does mean that 2-3 months later when the babies are ready it'll be about December to January and I know you can put heating packs but I don't know how safe that is?

But anywho I am just wondering if this would make a good pair and would anyone be interested in offspring?

This is Iris:

Here's Maximus:

Here are my other girls that can be candidates:

Eleni

Venus

Ariel

Tiblu

Ceylon

Roemgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:10 PM   #2 
alwaysaBettaLover

Ohh! Those are such beauties!!! Maybe try Ariel and maximus, Orange and black and white... I would LOVE to have one of the offspring, but unfortunately, apparently 2 bettas are too much ( whatever...) I was going to breed a pair myself, but I couldn't house the two females I got... sell, good luck!!!
alwaysaBettaLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:24 PM   #3 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysaBettaLover View Post
Ohh! Those are such beauties!!! Maybe try Ariel and maximus, Orange and black and white... I would LOVE to have one of the offspring, but unfortunately, apparently 2 bettas are too much ( whatever...) I was going to breed a pair myself, but I couldn't house the two females I got... sell, good luck!!!
It would be actually orange green and white (he does look like he has black but its all metallic). But that would be awesome if you could adopt one! And I currently have 9...lol but 8 are in a sorority so I guess that may not count lol but good luck with homing your girls!
Old 06-12-2013, 07:25 PM   #4 
LizbethDawn

My vote is for Ceylon :)
LizbethDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:30 PM   #5 
alwaysaBettaLover

Oh man, now you are making me want one SOOO badly... and I wasn't quite sure if he was green and white, or black and white. Lol. I wish I could adopt one...
alwaysaBettaLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:31 PM   #6 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizbethDawn View Post
My vote is for Ceylon :)
To be honest that's who I want to breed him with!! But a LOT of people want Iris and since I couldn't possibly keep all the babies I do need to listen to others :/ of course it would be my luck if when the time comes, they don't want one of the little girls or guys :/
Old 06-12-2013, 07:31 PM   #7 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysaBettaLover View Post
Oh man, now you are making me want one SOOO badly... and I wasn't quite sure if he was green and white, or black and white. Lol. I wish I could adopt one...
Yeah even his owner thought he was a girl...so lol no worries! And well I wouldn't be ready to sell them until...December :D it would most likely just be for the cost of shipping since I want them to go to homes
Old 06-12-2013, 08:28 PM   #8 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I suggest not breeding the first girl because she has bent spine - her top line is bent.

If you want to keep the dragon feature, breed to another drgn (ariel is partial drgn).
Any girl will give you a variety of colors

Try to get side views, flaring. It's easier to see color and form thus easier for us to preview.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:30 PM   #9 
lillyandquigly

I would say Venus, she looks to have the best form, if form is what you're going for
lillyandquigly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:20 AM   #10 
Myates

To be honest, none of those females will compliment the male if you are looking for specific colors/good fins.. adding an orange female to the mix doesn't mean you will get a white/black/orange colored baby. But Ariel probably has the better spread.. is that damage to her fins or is it her normal look?

The male seems to be a regular PK rather than an HM, none of those girls will really give you any good HMPKs if that is what you are wanting.

Both DTs are not really ones you want to breed.. first girl has some body deformities, the second has really bad fins - keep in mind DTs are tricky to work with, they are deformities in itself and often will breed deformities when bred - it increases if you breed DTxDT, etc. So honestly, neither of those girls really are breed worthy, imo.

If you want to semi match them, then Tiblu would be my recommendation.. I am all for experimenting, etc.. it's my favorite thing to do with breeding lol.

But out of those girls, Tiblu and Ariel would be the top two picks.
If you want to clean him up some and have some really nice fry, look for a nice dragon female with a bit wider dorsal to help fill out his and as close to an HM 180 as you can get.. if you want PK rather than HMPK then a regular PK girl is fine - just make sure her caudal fin is even and smooth..

Good luck :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote