Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-12-2013, 08:57 PM   #1 
jesssan2442

best filter for a 3g?

I need a filter for a 3g but I don't have very much money to spend on it... so if anybody knows of some good ones please let me know, also include where you bought the filter!!
jesssan2442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:03 PM   #2 
ellewar

It is hard to find a good filter for a tank that small. I have a 2.5 gallon unfiltered that does fine with regular cleaning, and so does my brother's girlfriend. Maybe you would be ok without a filter for a while but other betta people may have better advice. Don't listen to any advice from the associates in big chain pet stores, though. I know someone who did that and the filter was way too strong and sucked her betta fish in. The people here will give better advice.
ellewar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:30 PM   #3 
jesssan2442

I know not to get a filter thats to strong... I know there are several filters that are rated for this size tank, I just want to know which one people like the most! I've heard good things about the tetra whisper 3i but I've also heard some terrible things about them so I want to confirm thats its good filter before I buy it!
jesssan2442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:42 PM   #4 
JellOh

Sponge filters and corner filters are great. They have virtually no current, and what current they do have can be adjusted. I've heard some very bad things about the 3i and undergravel filters in general, so you might want to avoid them. I have three Azoo Plam filters cycling and so far the only negative thing I can say about them is that I had to replace the cruddy filter media it came with. They are adjustable and relatively quiet.
JellOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:01 PM   #5 
BasilBetta87

Go for the Sponge Filter. Otherwise an Azoo Palm filter aka Red Sea Nano filter. You will want to get a sponge to cover the intake of the filter as well as a a sponge to baffle the outflow. The flow is adjustable via a knob on the intake. The next best thing to do is either run lots of porous bio media to build up lots of beneficial bacteria. Seachem Matrix or Fluval Biomax to name a few. I hope this helps.
BasilBetta87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:14 AM   #6 
Hallyx
Reference Team

I'm with Basil and Jelloh...a sponge filter or the Azoo (if you want an HOB).

The Tetra 3i (technically a sponge filter) is poorly designed. The water does not flow through the media. It just flows over only the top quarter of the cartridge and so it does not filter.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:58 PM   #7 
waterdog

You got $4????????
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bio-Sponge-F...item3a74e6231e
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:09 PM   #8 
Briz

I hope you already have an air pump... sponge filters require one of those to work. The cost of the air pump is something to consider.

If you ever want to go with a regular filter for a 3g tank, I recommend the Marina i25 (http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo) It's $11.50 and is one of the best rated small filters I've seen in various online ratings. I have one and it's nice. The filter cartridges can be a bit costly, but they have 3 different components of filtration, so you're getting some bang for your buck. You might have to baffle it though for a Betta.
Briz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:14 PM   #9 
darkangel

Whisper 3i is a pretty nice small filter and very quiet.
darkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:35 PM   #10 
Lights106

I had the 3i and it was nice. But I just got the azoo and love it. It sadly rattles on the side of my tank which is driving me batty. If it didn't do that, it would be silent and the perfect little filter.
Lights106 is offline   Reply With Quote