Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-13-2013, 09:54 AM   #1 
JamieL

Need help with testing/prime/cycling

I recently bought a betta from petco with no prior knowledge of the nitrogen cycle, so I'm forced to fish-in cycle. He's in a 5.5 gal filtered tank. I bought the API master kit, I tested and ammonia was .25. I did a partial water change, the next day it tested between .25 and .50 so I did another partial change. I still tested .25 so I did a 50% change this morning, but it still tested .25. I tested the clean water I set out last night and dosed with prime, and the ammonia was still reading pale green, not yellow like 0ppm shows on the chart. I know my township uses chloramine. Do I need a higher dose of prime? An additional ammonia product? Another water change when I get home?? I'm so confused, and I just want to do the best thing for the fish. He seems to be acting fine, he's active and eating and doesn't show any distress, but I don't want to hurt him in the long run. Help!
JamieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:05 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Here's what I do with a fish IN cycle, test every 24 hrs for ammonia/nitrites, if either is >.25 I do a ~50% water change. In 24 hrs I test for both again & do a water change if necessary. Don't stress yourself out too much over it otherwise you're going to go crazy or just get fed up. You are doing what you're supposed to be, it can take 8 wks give or take to complete the cycle.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:33 PM   #3 
JamieL

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
Here's what I do with a fish IN cycle, test every 24 hrs for ammonia/nitrites, if either is >.25 I do a ~50% water change. In 24 hrs I test for both again & do a water change if necessary. Don't stress yourself out too much over it otherwise you're going to go crazy or just get fed up. You are doing what you're supposed to be, it can take 8 wks give or take to complete the cycle.
Thank you!!! I just don't want to hurt the fish, but I guess people who plop them in bowls of untreated tap water and call it a day still don't manage to kill their fish right away so at least my fish is better off. But shouldn't my clean, conditioned water be testing 0?? I added more prime to it and I'm going to test it again when I get home, maybe I didn't use enough? I found the dosage confusing, I used about 2 drops per gallon.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:17 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Also if you have the money and want to, you can get a whole bunch of fast growing plants like anacharis, water sprite, water wisteria, hornwort, cabomda, rotala and ludwigia, you could do a thing called the Silent Cycle.

Basically fast growing plants act as a buffer against harmful levels of ammonia, nitrite and nitrates. Also if you get them from another tank in the store, they actually have BB (beneficial bacteria) on them so it helps to "kickstart" your cycle. But they just soak up all the ammonia and you'll never get a reading while you have enough plants which is great! It means there's nothing there to harm your fish ^_^

I only do the Silent Cycle now just because I've got enough plants that they're all sending off babies so it's great and I find it's less stressful for your fish. But of course you've got the buy the plants. So it's just another option
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:33 PM   #5 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieL View Post
Thank you!!! I just don't want to hurt the fish, but I guess people who plop them in bowls of untreated tap water and call it a day still don't manage to kill their fish right away so at least my fish is better off. But shouldn't my clean, conditioned water be testing 0?? I added more prime to it and I'm going to test it again when I get home, maybe I didn't use enough? I found the dosage confusing, I used about 2 drops per gallon.
Quit adding Prime except when doing a water change. Prime does NOT remove ammonia, it detoxifies it so you are going to see ammonia until the nitrites starting processing it. A lot of people have ammonia in their tap water & some have nitrates so you won't get 0 until your tank is cycled. Don't test but every 24 hrs, unless something shows as seriously out of whack such as ammonia is 1 or higher. 2 drops per gallon is all you need of Prime per those who measure by drops, I don't count drops, I measure using the cap.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:53 PM   #6 
JamieL

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
Quit adding Prime except when doing a water change. Prime does NOT remove ammonia, it detoxifies it so you are going to see ammonia until the nitrites starting processing it. A lot of people have ammonia in their tap water & some have nitrates so you won't get 0 until your tank is cycled. Don't test but every 24 hrs, unless something shows as seriously out of whack such as ammonia is 1 or higher. 2 drops per gallon is all you need of Prime per those who measure by drops, I don't count drops, I measure using the cap.
Okay, I see. That makes sense now. I just added more prime to the clean water I had sitting out to see if it reduced the ammonia, but now I see what you mean, so I'll just add the two drops per gallon to the fresh water for changes. Ok, I feel better. :)
Old 06-13-2013, 02:54 PM   #7 
shellieca
Reference Team

Most of us have been in your shoes & it seems so daunting in the begining but after a while you realize its really quite simple. Just keep asking questions until it makes sense to you.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:43 PM   #8 
JamieL

Thanks. I'd rather ask a hundred dumb questions on a forum than guess/trust the teenager at petco and put my fish at risk. I'm brand new to all this, but I'm determined to take the best care of this little fish I can. We were in petco buying cat food, and my daughter was admiring the fish like always and I decided to finally let her pick one. She picked a baby betta, the employee told me to put it in a bowl and feed one pellet every other day...I got home and googled before I did anything and realized I was in way over my head and we headed right back to the store for a heater, and two days later I bought a 5.5 gal, filter, frozen food, etc etc. my daughter is in love with this fish, and my heart melted when he flared for the first time. And when he flared at the cat i was really proud, haha. So expect many more stupid, obvious questions while I get this all figured out!
Old 06-14-2013, 12:08 PM   #9 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Aww that's adorable about the flaring and stuff! Yeah, you know my friend got the same advice from Petco when she got a baby. I never asked the employee's but learned through here how to properly take care of it. But I was happy I could help her out with her baby and I was glad to see she at least did the once a week water change but when I told her she needed to do one every other day she just stared and went "Really?!" lol

So yeah, ask away and no worries! This is what forums are for! I sure wouldn't know half the stuff that I did if I didn't ask silly questions from time to time!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:27 AM   #10 
Hallyx
Reference Team

One of the bottles in the API test kit is probably of no use to you---one of the pH tests is not in your range.

You can empty that bottle and remove the dropper part using rubber gloves for grip or carefully with pliers. Fill it with Prime. You can then conveniently dispense 2drops/gal anytime.

Further along in your cycle, when it comes time to test for nitrate, you can drop a bead or bit of gravel into the #2nitrate test bottle for ease of thorough mixing.

Now that your Betta is flaring, it's good for him to be flared for a few minutes (or more) every day or so.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote