Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-13-2013, 09:36 AM   #1 
OrangeAugust

my filters are acting stupid.

Hi guys.
I have two filters on my 55 gallon tank and they're not working so well. I forgot what brand they are but they are HOB with 3 types of filtration. I thought the problem was that the sponges are gunky. I've been running the filters for 2 months so I figured it was time to rinse out the sponges (well, actually one overflowed and dripped all over my floor for hours one day until I came home and that's when I decided to clean them out). So I siphoned out some tank water into a bucket and squeezed out the sponges in the bucket. AND EW THEY WERE SO GROSS it turned the water black. ew. I also rinsed out the carbon baggies. I put it all back together, and they were running great. But a week later there was hardly any water coming out again. I cleaned out the sponge of one of them again and then it was working great for less than a week and now it's not working right again. I know I'm supposed to change out the carbon every 6-8 weeks (which I should have done already by now but haven't) but am I supposed to replace the sponge, too?? Then I'd be getting rid of tons of BB! I know I should do one filter at a time, but that's still a whole lot of BB to be getting rid of...
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:44 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Hmmm, you're sponge shouldn't be gunking up that quickly. The only time I had that problem when I used the filter cartridges, once I switched those to sponge the problem went away. Without knowing the type of filter I would change the sponge in one of them, there should be plenty of BB in the remaining filter media & tank to not cause an issue, you can test for a few days to see if it causes a mini cycle. Then in a week or two change the sponge in the other. I would also change the carbon out for sponge or polyfil, carbon isn't necessary except if you are needing to remove meds or something from the water. I have a Fluval 306 Canister filter & I clean that maybe once a month, it takes it usually that long to gunk up much. Unless you really like 2 filters, I would look into a canister filter, I like it so much better than the HOB I used to have. I know they're not cheap, I found mine online for much less than anywhere else. Anyways, change out the media in one of the filters, in a week or two change the media in the other, test for a few days to be on the safe side.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:01 PM   #3 
OrangeAugust

Thanks.
Yeah, I might look into getting a canister filter instead. I have one in my 10 gallon tank which I like much more than these HOB's. It never clogs up and is easier to baffle. Maybe I'll get a canister filter and a sponge filter. My current filters cause weird current patterns because of the driftwood and stuff, and my bettas have a hard time swimming in certain parts of the tank.

Also you mentioned having one canister filter rather than 2 HOB's... How does that work? I was told I should have two filters for that sized tank, one rated for the size of the tank and the other rated for at least half the size. I ended up getting 2 filters rated for up to 50 gallons each.

Last edited by OrangeAugust; 06-13-2013 at 01:03 PM.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:22 PM   #4 
Iorek

My hob acted weird as well I almost changed everypart but didnt look the intake hoze and a little peeble was blocking the intake :)

about the canister filters, I'm using tetratec ex700 and I must say that It's awesome filter. You cant even realize if it's working or not. No sound at all and awesome performance. Top quality product. I'm using ex700 at my 130 liters tank, practically I suggest people to canister filter 3x 4x of their tank size. I mean if you have 300 liters tank, I suggest 1200liters flow per hour filters at canisters.

Fluval, Tetra, JBL, Eheim are my fav ones. I love tetras more because of no sound at all and they are all top quality products. In big tanks, I generally prefer to have on inner filter to support canister but I dont think it's really neccessary.

And using carbon for a long time might be a little dangerous as well, they can release back what they absorbed in a long time period.
Iorek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:40 PM   #5 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAugust View Post
Thanks.
Yeah, I might look into getting a canister filter instead. I have one in my 10 gallon tank which I like much more than these HOB's. It never clogs up and is easier to baffle. Maybe I'll get a canister filter and a sponge filter. My current filters cause weird current patterns because of the driftwood and stuff, and my bettas have a hard time swimming in certain parts of the tank.

Also you mentioned having one canister filter rather than 2 HOB's... How does that work? I was told I should have two filters for that sized tank, one rated for the size of the tank and the other rated for at least half the size. I ended up getting 2 filters rated for up to 50 gallons each.
I think some people have two filters to avoid dead spots in their tanks which is important depending on the fish & such. Also the bio load of the fish can sometimes dictate mutliple filters. I have a 46g bowfront, I have the intake tube in the back left corner of the tank, a heater to its right, the outflow about in the middle of the back wall turned to the right, slightly above the water line & a 2nd heater to the outflow's right. This creates a circular pattern in my tank, circulates the water well, keeps the temp stable & my female Bettas don't seem bothered by the current in the least. Not sure I answered your question.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
filter, filter flow