Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-13-2013, 09:45 AM   #1 
mudpie

Exclamation Lump on Betta's Side?

Hello, I have just discovered a lump on the side of my betta's body last night. Not too sure what it is, I am hoping it is just over-feeding so I am not going to feed him for 48 hours in hopes that the lump will go down.

Any suggestions? I love my betta and would like any help! He looks and is acting very healthy, swimming around his tank as usual.

You can see where it is located in the second picture where there is a light shining on the lump in the middle of his body. Let me know if you need it pointed out or better pics.

Here are the answers to the questions about my tank:

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5g
What temperature is your tank? 79
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Filter
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Mystery snail

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Betta food pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? once a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25-50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Top fin betta water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.5
Hardness: 10
Alkalinity: 120

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? A lump on the side, middle of his body
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Still acts happy and healthy
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Yesterday
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Not going to feed for 48 hours
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? 2years (had him for one, bought him at petsmart)
Attached Images

mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:51 AM   #2 
BettaNubRandyLove

Looks like a cyst to me and it can be a sign of internal parasites. Check his poop and if it's normal... It could possibly be a tumor but check in with an expert on here.
BettaNubRandyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:44 AM   #3 
mudpie

I haven't seen him poop for a while, but I think he just does it discretely. Not to sure how I can tell the diference between internal parasites and a tumor?
Old 06-13-2013, 01:18 PM   #4 
BettaNubRandyLove

If his poop Has white in it and or is stringy and white than he most likely has internal parasites. You could QT him in a bare bottom tank and look for his poop for a couple days to be sure.
BettaNubRandyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:41 PM   #5 
mudpie

I will try this and see how he is. Hopefully he will feel better soon so I wont have to keep worrying!
Old 06-13-2013, 09:14 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

That's a cyst, make sure to keep an eye on it to see if it pops.

And he's also got a nasty case of fin rot here.

To help that:

1 teaspoon of Aquarium salt per gallon.
dissolve the salt completely before putting it in.
Do daily 100% water changes if you can, 80% will do if you can't do the 100%.
Re-add in the salt, so if you took out 2.5 gallons, put back in 2.5 teaspoons of DISSOLVED salt.
Keep this up until the black goes away or you hit the 14 day limit. Do not use this past 14 days at a time without at least 3-4 days break between!

To heal his fins you need to use Stress Coat water conditioner, it containes Aloe Vera in it which is what will help heal his fins. Also regularly you should be changing his water twice a week 50% once and 100% another time during the week so that he stays in nice clean water and doesn't get infected again. It's probably why he got such bad fin rot

But otherwise he should be alright, I'm not certain about what to do for the cyst but if it does open up the AQ salt should take care of it for the most part
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:27 PM   #7 
mudpie

Should I be putting him in a smaller tank? I have a snail and I don't think he would like aquarium salt too much. I will keep the 2.5 gal tank clean however.

Would he be ok for a while in a small .5gal tank while I treat him for fin rot? And will my snail be effected by the cyst if it bursts? I feel sad and confused!

I will try my best, any advice would be extremely helpful.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:32 PM   #8 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I'm sorry you're sad! It will be alright though given the right care!

I'm not sure what will happen if the cyst does pop, probably would kill him but I'm not terribly certain, sorry.

As for the tank, it doesn't matter if you keep it clean, it still needs a water change twice a week because of it's size. The ammonia (fish waste) will build up faster and hurt him, which is what probably caused the fin rot in the first place. But yes the snail will die in salt water so that's no good. Your Betta will be fine in the .5 gallon to treat him, however he needs to stay warm and I'm sure you don't have an extra heater for him?

If you can, can you float him in his old tank? Take out some water so that the .5 can float to stay warm? This will help him heal too. Just make sure to do a daily 100% change on the .5 and only use .5 teaspoon of salt. Dissolve it in a small cup first with some tank water and if he's already in the water, slowly pour in the salt water just a little dribble at a time every 10 minutes or so until all the salt water is in there. Repeat the next day. And as I said, just don't use salt for more than 14 days and you can use it until you see the black on his tail fin go away.

After he's done with the treatment you NEED to do twice weekly water changes on his tank to keep him clean, otherwise the rot can come back and you'd have to do that all over again! It could be worse too so get it done and over with now, keep the tank really clean by doing those water changes and use some Stress Coat water conditioner with Aloe Vera in it to help heal his fins.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:47 PM   #9 
mudpie

Ok I will try this! What kind of salt should I be getting? Is there a brand you would recommend? I just want to make sure I'm getting the right stuff. Also, is it safe to keep him in a .5 gal tank with salt water? I just want to be certain I'm not supposed to clean out the salt water after 30 min. Again, thank you for all the help!
Old 06-14-2013, 11:02 AM   #10 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Any Aquarium salt will do, API makes a good one if you get that at your fish store, wal-mart carries the Jungle brand which is fine too. I use Jungle just because it was cheaper lol I'm cheap ^_^

And yes you want him in the .5 with the AQ salt, don't treat his 10 gallon because that will hurt your snail and probably kill him. That's why I suggest to get him in a smaller tank. When he's in the .5 you can float him in his big tank if it fits. If it doesn't, move his heater over to the .5, the snail will be fine for a few days. I would actually suggest to get rid of the snail because they produce LOTS of waste, pooping all the time which won't help your Betta's fins heal up!

Anyway, so you fill up your .5, add in .5 teaspoons of Aquarium salt. Dissolve it first, then if you have a cup you can scoop out your Betta and then float him in the .5, add in a tablespoon of water from the .5 to his cup every 10 minutes or so for about 30 minutes. Then you gently release him into the .5 with the salt in there. If you can, float the .5 in the 2.5 after you take out some water so it doesn't overflow.

Everyday you're going to take out the .5 tank, scoop him back up in a cup and dump out the water in the .5 tank. Fill again with new water, add in your .5 teaspoon of salt, dissolve it first and do again where you float him in the tank and add in a tablespoon of new water from his .5 to his cup. Gently release him and do this everyday until you see that black on the edge of his tail go away. But if it's still not gone by 14 days, stop the treatment and give him a few days rests back in his 2.5 tank of clean water. After 3 days you can start the salt treatment again and do it the same way as I instructed.

Then you can use any brand of Stress Coat as long as it says it contains Aloe Vera (which they all should) and use a double dose, so if it calls for 1 drop per gallon, use two drops per gallon I hope he heals up soon.

Keep this in mind though: Aquarium salt helps retain fluids so he might become more bloated, if you find that he is swelling more and that cyst is going to pop, stop the AQ salt treatment, give him a full day and then you'll start doing an Epsom Salt treatment to help him remove the liquid that he's keeping in him. Epsom salt you can find at any pharmacy store or walmart in the first aid section. It's also known as Magnesium Sulfate and needs to be 100% that, no additives or scent. Walmart's brand is called Swan.

But don't mix the salts, that will make it super stressful for him and he would not get any better.