Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-13-2009, 05:33 PM   #1 
jerzegirl

Please Help, Very Sick Betta!

Hi, if anyone can help or give suggestions, I would really appreciate it. I have a male betta who up until this past Sunday was doing great. I did a 20% water change, used the same water I always use, with water conditioner. Been doing the same thing for almost a year now, except I have cut back on his water changes because he seems to be tolerating them less and less. I noticed the next day that he was laying on the bottom of the tank, very labored breathing, bloated and pale. He has never, ever laid on the bottom of the tank except when he was at rest. Now, he is only going up for air every once in a while and he looks like he is having a terrible time breathing. He is not moving at all, except to go up for air and it's not often. I checked the heater, filter, light, everything fine. I checked the acid level, fine. However, the ph level was off the chart. My local Pet Store told me that could happen with well or spring water, which is what I have. They told me to do another water change and to use bottled spring water. I did this and that brought the ph level to normal level, but the fish is still not good. I am worried I am watching him die and I am sick thinking that he is suffering. I do not know what else to do and I don't want to put anything in his tank that could make it worse. I checked all of the disease symptoms, it doesn't seem like dropsy or a fungus infection, his fins are fine, no redness or fin rot. Does anyone have any idea what it could be and what I can do to help my poor fish. His name is Laurence and my daughter will be devastated if he doesn't make it. Thanks for any help!

P.S. I have a 5 gallon tank, heat is steady at 80 degrees.
jerzegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:12 PM   #2 
veganchick

This can be a few things, most likly is swim bladder disease, he will get that from over feeding or bad water conditions. My betta however acted the exact same way right before he got fungis. Can you please get a picture of him to help me better see what he looks like? Thanks!!!!
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:24 PM   #3 
aquakid

Move him to another container until he recovers and then return him to the original bowl
aquakid is offline   Reply With Quote