Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-13-2013, 10:12 PM   #11 
mermaidstar5

Oh, ok. Thanks for the information shellieca. I will stop doing that.
mermaidstar5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:30 PM   #12 
mermaidstar5

Is it normal for him to put the food I his mouth and then spit it out numerous times, and then just let it sink? He seems to be try to eat it, but can't.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:06 AM   #13 
shellieca

If the pellet is too big or he just doesn't like the taste, he may do as you described. You can try crushing a pellet & seeing if he'll eat it OR you can try a different brand of food. I have one male who will NOT eat NLS but gobbles up Omega One pellets.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:25 AM   #14 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Lol shellieca, mine are the opposite! They turn their noses up to Omega but gobble up NLS and I've tried giving Omega multiple times! I do have one female that I got off AquaBid who will only eat Omega now, she spits the NLS out as well but that's expected since she was most likely fed all live food while growing up in her native country
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:37 PM   #15 
mermaidstar5

Oh, ok! I actually have two brands, HBH Betta Bites and another that doesn't say. The unnamed one is larger than the other so I usually feed him HBH. He will rush toward the food and gobble it up greedily, but then seconds later he will spit it up and then try eating it again over and over. I finally got him to swallow one and keep it down. But just to be safe, I have started to crush the pellets, but he only eats a little for what I put in, and I am not even sure if he keeps it down since they are so small.

But I think he is still traumatized from being in that cup. When I tried to take him out of his tank so when I fed him, he wouldn't leave a bunch of residue in there, he freaked out and just stayed at the bottom. My other fish doesn't do that and when he did, I was scared that he was sick or something, since he just started to stay still at the bottom. But as soon as I put him back, he was back to normal. But I think he is still shaken from who knows how long he has been on that shelf at Walmart, so I will try again with the feeding later on.

Thanks for your help shellieca and lilnaugrim! :)
Old 06-14-2013, 05:52 PM   #16 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Np! Glad to be of service. It will take him a little while to get used to his new tank. Some just heal faster than others or get used to places faster than others, just like humans!
Old 06-14-2013, 05:58 PM   #17 
mermaidstar5

Yes, so true. I never had any problems with Desmond. The only thing was that he was my first betta and I was scared I might kill him and he was swimming in some strange blue water when I first got him.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:02 PM   #18 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah they treat the water usually with methane blue to prevent any diseases when they are shipped and in the cups.

Another thing I suggest if you can find some Omega One or New Life Spectrum, that way you can use both that food and your HBH. It's good to give them variety, just like you probably wouldn't want to eat veggies at every single meal lol, Betta's also like variety and can get disinterested in food after a while if you feed the same stuff over and over
Old 06-14-2013, 06:05 PM   #19 
mermaidstar5

I was hoping to buy some more betta food to give variety yesterday when I bought my new betta, but my aunt wouldn't let me buy anything else. So I probably have to wait a while before I can get some more variety.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:06 PM   #20 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

That's fine, just wanted you to know ^_^

Did your other boy grow his fins back after that rip a little while ago?