Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-14-2013, 05:10 PM   #21 
mermaidstar5

Ok yes! It seemed to have reattached itself together again, since it was split, but now I am worried since the edges still seem to be damaged, and after looking at a few picture, I am scared it is fin rot. I am not sure, so I don't know what to do. :(
mermaidstar5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:54 PM   #22 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

If you give me some pictures I can tell you. Fin rot is black edging on any fin (unless coloration and then it can be really difficult to tell) but it will look dead looking and will start deteriorating the fins. I can give you a remedy if it really is fin rot. But keeping the water clean is the best way to help treat it and prevent it. On tanks that are smaller than 5 gallons I'd do twice weekly changes normally at 50% and another at 100% during the week and that will really help for starters ^_^
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:28 PM   #23 
mermaidstar5

Here is a picture of Desmond.
Attached Images

Old 06-14-2013, 07:30 PM   #24 
mermaidstar5

Here is another.
Attached Images

Old 06-14-2013, 08:40 PM   #25 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Any way you can get a desk lamp or something to shine on him? I can't see otherwise.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:54 PM   #26 
mermaidstar5

Oh, ok. Sorry, it is just that when there is light, the reflection of the glass blocks Desmond. Let me try again.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:05 PM   #27 
mermaidstar5

Here is one. Is this better?
Attached Images

Old 06-14-2013, 10:10 PM   #28 
mermaidstar5

Here is another one.
Attached Images

Old 06-15-2013, 07:03 AM   #29 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah looks like he's got some finrot. Fin rot is black edging to his fins, does it look that way in real life?

Well here's the treatment so that you can start if you like. You'll need Aquarium salt (found at any petstore/walmart or Rock Salt but needs to be PURE NaCl, no additives whatsoever!)

• Take a small cup and put some tank water or conditioned water into it.
• Measure out 1 teaspoon per gallon of salt. (so if it's a 2 gallon tank, measure 2 teaspoons)
• Mix around in the cup until you see absolutely no more crystals (it can burn your fish).
• Add a tablespoon of the dissolved salt into your tank every 15 minutes so your fish can adjust to it.
• Once a day do a 100% water change and re-add water of the same temp that you took out. (Tip: if you run a thermometer under the tap it will give you a rough estimate of the temp, let it run a while so that it can get to a steady temp because Tap's like to vary temps a lot)
• Re-add in the salt you took out. Salt does not evaporate so if you took out all of your water, replace all teaspoons of salt with the above method. (again 1 teaspoon per gallon)
• Continue the salt and water changes for two weeks MAXIMUM or until you see the black edging go away.

Note: Do NOT use AQ salt for more than 14 days, it will cause liver/kidney damage if used long term but works perfectly fine as a treatment for those few days!

But the main thing is you need to keep up on water changes, looks like those tanks might be 1 gallon? That needs to be changed every 3 days with either 50% or 100%. That's why bigger tanks are easier to maintain because you only have to do one water change a week if it's something like a 10 gallon, only 50% once a week whereas smaller tanks need more changes so things like Fin Rot don't happen ^_^

Hope this helps and any questions feel free to ask
Old 06-15-2013, 09:02 AM   #30 
mermaidstar5

Oh, ok! Thanks for the the info. Actually, his edges aren't black, they might be a little darker than the, but they aren't black. Could it still be fin rot even if it is not?