Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-13-2013, 06:32 PM   #1 
kbraucci

Blue Hm to a suitable female - Looking for suggestions

Hello,
I am getting this male soon and I wanted to find a suitable female to breed out his faults. I'm looking for suggestions on what anyone would think would be a good match for him. In other words, I have a pretty blue duckling that I would like to turn his offspring into a swan :) Any comments are welcome.
Attached Images

kbraucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:33 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I'm going to sit here and wait to see what other's say---don't mind me! lol
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:37 PM   #3 
kbraucci

He hee! I'm going to wait too :)
Old 06-13-2013, 06:46 PM   #4 
Kiara1125

I already read the entire other thread. I'm gonna sit here as well. xD I would love for you to find a beautiful female to breed him with. He's gorgeous!

Edit: He also looks like a full mask dragonscale to me. Is that a trait that you would like to pass on?
Kiara1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:53 PM   #5 
trilobite

I see short body, multitipped ventrals, jagged edges on dorsal and anal and uneven topline. Doesnt look like exessive branching in the tail but theres def something going on to give him the ruffled edges. And ideally his anal would line up with his caudal although its quite good compared to other hms Ive seen.
He does have a nice colour except for the yellow wash in ventrals, and a nice, broad forward pointing dorsal. He also looks to have black in him.

Female wise Id go for smooth edged finnage, longer body, no red and first dorsal rays long not short. If you can get those first rays of his dorsal to be the same height as the rest of it then Id fall in love.

Good luck in finding a female for him
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:56 PM   #6 
kbraucci

Lilnaugrim mentioned the dragon scale too. I would like to pass that on but I guess it will come down to the female and what traits/ genetics she has that will improve him. I might not be able to find the female with the color, form, scale, pattern, etc I want all wrapped up into one fish :)
Old 06-13-2013, 07:07 PM   #7 
kbraucci

I am going to cross my fingers and see if I can find such a female. I am hoping through talking to breeders and the boards someone will point me in the right direction to find her. I should be getting a pic of his sibling and another female from a show breeder. I will post them when I get them so I can get some feedback. So do you think a VT is the way to go with him or are there other finnage types I should consider?
Old 06-13-2013, 07:23 PM   #8 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I was just taking a gander through AquaBid to see if there might be any good matches. So far I haven't found any good Dragons except this girl is part Dragon I think...hard to tell from the pictures. But nice sleek long body would be great for him and she's only got 4 ray count which is good! It's messy but with the cross it might come out alright. I'll wait to see what everyone else thinks about her. She's also got the nice deep blue color too.

Link to her bid: http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...shm&1371547525
Attached Images

Old 06-13-2013, 07:31 PM   #9 
kbraucci

Yes she does have a great long body which would balance him out and love the color! I am watching her on Aquabid and see what people think about her on here. Thank you so much for helping :)
Old 06-13-2013, 07:40 PM   #10 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

My only things about her is that her fins aren't clean and straight and the dorsal doesn't meet the caudal and then her first dorsal ray is really short. I think his heavy finnage will help with the dorsal not meeting the caudal but I'm not certain about her first ray being so short like that. And then just the messy finnage.