Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-08-2013, 08:50 AM   #91 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiara1125 View Post
So she won't get the perfect HM fry, at least these fry (if she spawns the pair) will be able to sell and will look pretty nice. People who buy bettas don't always look for perfection. I would happily buy some offspring from the future spawn. At least she can get money for a new female and try to breed a different pair if she wishes. No one is going to reach absolute perfection, so this is just the start in learning with the spawning.
Right but with more finnage comes the possibility of chronic fin bitting which is no good and that can hurt the potential Betta's. Especially if people don't realize quite yet how to care of them, I mean she can only sell to people whom she deems good but still it's not fair to the Betta to have to bite the fins and then possibly get fin rot and if it's not caught, end up with a rotting body, you see? Granted I love my FT and RT boy's but they do have the most trouble swimming and it's not fun to watch them struggle like that, however beautiful they are. So that's just something to keep in mind, but at this point it raises another question:

Are you breeding for Show or just to get pretty Betta's that might not be perfect? Health should always be top priority when Breeding of course
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:57 AM   #92 
Kiara1125

Yeah, that is true ... My HM bit his tail once, and then stopped after I added plants. Now he has a 10g to himself and he's happy. lol Still, I understand the risk of the inexperienced owners. All you can do is teach people and help spread the word.
Kiara1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:20 AM   #93 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiara1125 View Post
So she won't get the perfect HM fry, at least these fry (if she spawns the pair) will be able to sell and will look pretty nice. People who buy bettas don't always look for perfection. I would happily buy some offspring from the future spawn. At least she can get money for a new female and try to breed a different pair if she wishes. No one is going to reach absolute perfection, so this is just the start in learning with the spawning.
excessive ray x excessive ray = rose and possible deformities. Something I personally would avoid.

It has nothing to do with form. In fact if you're lucky and don't produce deformed fry, you have a bigger chance of producing OHM
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:18 PM   #94 
kbraucci

I myself was not looking to show at the moment. I'm too new at it and still learning as I attempt breeding. I have had bettas for years now just never bred them. I get different opinions and open to all suggestions. I will never learn unless I can listen to what people have to say and try to help :)
kbraucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:39 PM   #95 
kbraucci

Now my male looks totally different under bright light.
Attached Images

Old 07-08-2013, 06:14 PM   #96 
Deanna01

He's lovely! My Courtland gets that green sheen under flash too. :)
Attached Images

Deanna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:21 PM   #97 
kbraucci

Wow! Look at the fins on your boy! Gotta love how the color shows up under different lighting.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:21 AM   #98 
indjo
TFK Moderator

That's what I love about them - different mood, different color. Different lighting, different color. Keeping bettas is never boring.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:00 AM   #99 
kbraucci

Oh my my my... I think I am in love!!! lol
Attached Images

Old 07-09-2013, 06:15 PM   #100 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbraucci View Post
I myself was not looking to show at the moment. I'm too new at it and still learning as I attempt breeding. I have had bettas for years now just never bred them. I get different opinions and open to all suggestions. I will never learn unless I can listen to what people have to say and try to help :)
I wanted to comment to this but forgot when I saw the pictures.
Anyway, REMEMBER there is neither a right nor wrong way to keep, breed, and raise this species. Each person may have different experiences due to different conditions, environment, etc. You'd have to compare each method, tricks, etc. then combine or choose a method most suitable for you.

There will also be differences about breed - or not certain traits; such as DT and rose. Some will say it is safe if done correctly. Others will say no . . . . I prefer to be safe than sorry and will always discourage (specially new to breeding) people from breeding rose tails (personal experience). I have no issues against DT though - only believe they shouldn't be inbred or bred to another DT more than 1 generation.