Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-13-2013, 12:57 PM   #111 
kbraucci

I didn't get that far to give them privacy. When I released her she tore him up so I got him out right away. I could see it was not going to go well. I put a treatment in his water to help him mend the poor guy :(
kbraucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 04:53 PM   #112 
Kiara1125

Aww :( well, it happens. I heard people let them see each other for almost 2 weeks before breeding. She just seems to be really fiesty or just not ready.
Kiara1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:38 AM   #113 
Basement Bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilikebutterflies View Post
I think you will end up with sell able fry no problem. You always want at least 4 ray branching. 8 rays is the optimum for females IMHO only because show standards dictate males have at least 8 rays and females have at least 4 rays. IME I have found the females stamp their fry more so than the males yet a lot look for top notch males and skimp on the female.
This has been my experience too. That is why, even with heavy branched males.. you still get an 8 ray girl. Ideally she has good length too.. to help balance out those extra rays. In F1 look for length of that tail again and pick the best balanced females to use for breeding. Breed for balanced girls and you will have great males. Males are just females with longer fins.

You go from this.. looks like a nice female form wise..

to this... male is in spawn tank so sorry about the pphoto. He took 1st in his class at convention so is a pretty decent male.

Even as bad as this picture is.. you can still see the balance in this male. I bred for great females first. And this line was over branched and way out of balance 4 years ago. This is the line I have worked the longest.
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:32 AM   #114 
Kiara1125

That's a great strategy! Your bettas are gorgeous!
Kiara1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:21 PM   #115 
kbraucci

Oh man he's beautiful! That's why I liked the blue butterfly female I have because she seemed to have nice balance all the way through and the 8 rays. I have another male coming and another female along with him. I am just going to condition them for awhile and pic the best female that seems to respond well, preferably with the 8 rays and hope a a decent male is ready when she is :) I noticed it's not easy to find a nice looking female with all the goods.
kbraucci is offline   Reply With Quote