Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-15-2013, 06:54 AM   #41 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

She's got a bit of yellow, not as much as he does. That's something you can fix next generation, find someone to counterbalance them. As I said, not sure if red wash will take out the yellow because I know it works the other way around so I'm only assuming here.

So what exactly do you want to keep in this spawn and help get rid of? Obviously his bumpy top line (to me at least) should be a priority which she will definitely help with. And then there's the color, the dragon scaling, messy v.s clean finnage, taking out the yellow wash and getting the fins to match up.

So it depends on what you want to do, if you want to end up with fry that looks very much like them in terms of color and dragon scaling, then breed them. If you really want to clean up the finnage, get the yellow out and get proper fin proportion then don't breed them. But those are all things you can fix next generation. Generally things like that are fixed over a few generations so you're not going to get one spawn and get perfect fish unless you start with perfect fish haha
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:13 AM   #42 
kbraucci

Well ideally I should breed the siblings. She does have beautiful color and top line. Plus they may not have been the best fish out of all their sibling but they might carry the genetics between the two of them that out of their fry there will be a few that come out beautiful. Someone mentioned his tail length was short and he needed a female with a longer tail? Does that make sense to you?
kbraucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:18 AM   #43 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yup, I think you should. And yes ideally a female with a longer tail because he is short, but I think he's still got some growing to do. And yes her tail is short as well but that's just something else you can fix easily down the line ^_^ Oh and of course there's bound to be a good handful of fry that look amazing like their parents or even better!
Old 06-15-2013, 11:45 AM   #44 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Finding that perfect female is close to impossible. But try to get as good a form as possible.

Name:  New Picture (1).jpg
Views: 95
Size:  23.3 KBName:  New Picture (2).jpg
Views: 94
Size:  28.1 KB

These are in AB (sirinutbettafarm) . . . But I'm trying to show you the dorsal form you want. Getting a long first dorsal ray wont be easy, but these should not "ruin" the male's form. If they don't produce satisfying fry, breed daughter back to father.

I wouldn't advise breeding to a sibling because his form is "risky" - Rose wise. I suggest a 4 ray caudal - but with a dorsal form like the examples above (opens fan like).

Color wise: anything without red. Blue x blue = turquoise, steel blue, and royal blue. So either way (blue or other irid colors) you will only get a number of royal blues.

Everything else I agree with what has been said above.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:32 PM   #45 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Good to know we're on the right track here! Thanks indjo!
Old 06-15-2013, 02:09 PM   #46 
kbraucci

Thank you for the breakdown :) I got sis as a backup just in case another female wont breed with him. I am still waiting on the other breeder to get back to me about her female.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:21 AM   #47 
kbraucci

She is still my fav. I am asking if this is the actual pic of the female I would be buying. After talking to a few breeders she has a lot of what I am looking for :)
Attached Images

Old 06-26-2013, 10:24 AM   #48 
indjo
TFK Moderator

If a breeder has lots, look at as many pictures as possible - choose the best one/s

GOOD LUCK
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:29 AM   #49 
kbraucci

Yep she does and they look very similar which is good. She has a monster blue sis with a white spec on her head and the same identical body and finnage. I'm really drawn to her because of the marble and butterfly gene she probably carries and I love those patterns. Hmmm...lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-26-2013, 11:01 AM   #50 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Awesome! Just be careful about the bent spines and all, don't to end up with all deformed fishies!