Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-13-2013, 07:24 PM   #1 
MoonyAndSunny

Moony and his tank!

Here is Moony's tank. It's a good size for my dresser and he really loves that soft blue plant in there. The round thing is a mirror I bought and then later discarded. He scratched his head on it.

And here is Moony! He's a very active happy fish and he loves interacting with me when I come home. I didn't know fish 'greeted' you when you came into the room, so that was a welcome surprise. You can see his poor tattered tail fin. I thought he was a incorrectly marked crowntail at first, but he's definitely a half moon betta.
MoonyAndSunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:35 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh he's got some fin rot as well! For that you can use 1 teaspoon of Aquarium salt per gallon. Dissolve it in a small cup first and pour it in little by little over half an hour, then you do a 100% daily water change and add in the salt again when you change the water. That will get rid of the black edging. So you do daily water changes with adding in new salt at 1 teaspoon per gallon so if he's got a 1.5 you use 1.5 teaspoons of AQ salt. Do no use this for more than 14 days though, it can be harmful to their liver/kidney's if used for therapy.

Then after you get rid of the rot (stop the AQ salt treatment when the black goes away) then you can use Stress Coat conditioner to help heal up his fins. He's lost a lot of fins so he's going to need very clean water to help him heal up soon!

He's adorable though! I can't wait to see how he'll color up
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:41 PM   #3 
MoonyAndSunny

I will definitely try that! Thank you! I didn't know what fin rot looked like. Goodness. Poor Moony has been through so much. I'm afraid of stressing him out with daily water changes. Is there anyway to make it easier on him?
Old 06-13-2013, 07:47 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

You can keep the lights off during the treatment which will help reduce stress but better to nip rot in the bud now than watch it deteriorate his body! Oh and you can also just get regular Rock salt instead of AQ salt as long as it is PURE NaCl otherwise just getting AQ salt at walmart or your LFS is the best way to go for this. It doesn't look too bad but he's certainly lost a lot of fins already and you don't want it to spread more

But daily water changes, add in the salt again because it doesn't evaporate and just make sure to acclimate him each time you put him back into his tank. And always dissolve the salt!!!!! <---biggest thing right there because it can hurt him if it isn't dissolved. But once it's dissolved it's fine as long as you acclimate him to his new water each day!

I use their old cups or plastic ware (must be new, never seen soap) and scoop them up and keep them in that while I change the water and then when I'm ready, float them in the new water and add about 1-2 tablespoons of new water to his floating cup for about 30-45 minutes to acclimate him well.

Also a trick to get the temp as close to 80 as possible or 78 if that's what your tank runs at with the non-adjustable heater, is to run a thermometer under the tap when you get new water. Watch the thermometer and adjust the temp to get it close enough to the temp he needs. I suggest you get a glass thermometer from any pet store or walmart, it's only a dollar something but you need to know the temp of your tank always to see if your heater is working properly

I hope this helps and any questions feel free to ask!
Old 06-14-2013, 09:33 PM   #5 
MoonyAndSunny

New pictures of Moony! I got some really nice ones.

"HELP! Mommy trapped me in the cup! Just kidding. I know it's to get me used to my new tank water. She's been changing my water every day and adding the AQ Salt to get rid of my fin rot."

"Here you can see I am a much deeper blue now and I love poking around in my gravel and following my reflection."

"Since I'm not in the right light, I look grey. However, it seems as if my fin rot is finally lessening."
Old 06-15-2013, 07:11 AM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yay! Cutie ^_^ he'll be right as rain soon! Yup so just continue the salt until you either hit 14 days or the black goes away and then Stress Coat to heal right up! It's going to take a few months to full grow his tail back but with a high quality diet, warm water and clean water with the Stress Coat, it will promote healthy growth

Love his deep blue color ^^