Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-13-2013, 07:45 PM   #1 
finnfinnfriend

Aqueon betta food

A product that I think is actually vey underrated is Aqueon betta food. Many people seem to look down upon it but based on the research I have done about ingredients in foods, it is what I would recommend people get if they can't get NLS...

One reason is that the first ingredients is whole fish meal. This is considered a quality ingredient and is listed as it's dry weight. Non meal items, such as "whole salmon" for example, is listed as it's wet weight. The wet weight is the weight of the item before it's cooked, so the final product that you buy and use has the item as it's dry weight. The dry weight is 20% of the wet weight. So when an ingredient is listed as a meal, you know it's position on tue list is accurate.

Another reason is that it lists "whole wheat flour" which indicates less product splitting. Product splitting is when a company will list components of an ingredient as seperate ingredients. This allows a company to put less desireable ingredients further down the list.

One more thing that I would like to add is that the food includes "whole dried krill" within the first five ingredients. Krill is very nutritious.

So, in conclusion, NLS is still my favorite fish food, but Aqueon betta food is a solid second, and I would feed it to my betta with a clear conscience.

:)
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:54 PM   #2 
Fishy Mom

Nice research! My VT boy will only eat aqueon pellets.
Fishy Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:55 PM   #3 
mybabyjets

i use aqueon betta food, and my 2 girls love it to death.
mybabyjets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:19 PM   #4 
ktmrox11

I use Aqueon betta food, my Bettas all love it. Mine still eat it after having been exposed to freeze dried blood worms and the great part is, it is easily crushed to fit into my baby Betta's mouth. Love it!
ktmrox11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:15 AM   #5 
finnfinnfriend

Thanks for the positive feedback guys! Hope you enjoyed reading my little essay lol :)
Old 06-14-2013, 02:22 AM   #6 
xxRho

I've never seen that brand down under.... I also very rarely see NLS let alone the betta food from NLS.

Any other good suggestions? =]
xxRho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:27 AM   #7 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxRho View Post
I've never seen that brand down under.... I also very rarely see NLS let alone the betta food from NLS.

Any other good suggestions? =]
Unfortunately I don't know what brands they carry in Austrailia because I am in the United States...If you list some brands they do have though, I might be able to help you make a decision.

You could also try looking online if you are able to buy things online, but I understand if you like to buy local.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:43 PM   #8 
xxRho

• Tetra => I have freeze dried Blood Worms that I give as a treat to my 2 adult bettas (my baby is too small to give her blood worms)
  • Nutrafin => I have their "Nutrafin Max Betta Colour Enhancing Flakes" but I use these sparingly (like 2-3x a week but I crush them up a bit more so they absorb more water and are easier for my bettas to eat)
  • Zoo Med aquatic => I'm using this currently; the "Micro Floating Betta Pellets"
  • Hikari (occasionally)
  • NLS (even more occasionally)
  • Australian Black Worms => I have the freeze dried ones which I occasionally give to the adults and feed to my baby because she is being difficult and won't eat anything else =/
  • Aqua One
  • Sera
  • Marine Master => although I have never seen betta food just goldfish and those feed blocks
My adult bettas are really good with new foods and will eat anything that is edible so they get quite a good mix of pellets, flakes, blood & black worms.

I've seen those vacation feed block things but I read the ingredients and it has a lot of Ca and other random stuff in it so I never would give them to my bettas.
xxRho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:08 PM   #9 
LittleBettaFish

Hey Rho, you can order NLS foods online if there is no store near you that stocks them.

Aquaristic (one of the only aquariums I know of in NSW) stocks it by the looks of their online website. But not sure where they are in relation to you.

Otherwise, so does Age of Aquariums and they have a flat rate of $7.50 for postage so you can buy other things as well and the postage stays the same.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:17 PM   #10 
finnfinnfriend

Sorry for the late reply, but LBF is right, you can order NLS online. And thank you LBF for saying what is available in AU