Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-19-2013, 07:15 AM   #1 
Mohankrish99

which female is best?

hello everyone,
i want to breed my combtail betta TONY.
i want to get 180 caudal finned offspring. so which will make good pair for my betta...and pls post few pics that help me to identify the females...
Attached Images

Mohankrish99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:32 AM   #2 
Myates

Honestly, and not trying to sound mean.. but that male is not one you should breed... at least if you are wanting to be able to sell the juvies from the spawn.

Dorsal is too thin and bumpy, anal is just a mess and the caudal.. well.. it's not even close to being nice. Sorry it's blunt, but that isn't even considered a combtail, just the unfortunate happenings of people mixing tail types and not knowing how to do it properly, etc.

He is cute for a pet, but for breeding I would stay clear of him as it's honestly not going to get you anything - you will spend hundreds of dollars setting it up, hours a day on water changes and regardless of the female you place him with it will take a few generations to get it semi-cleaned up. Unless you have a local pet store that isn't picky on the fish they get, you will have a very hard time finding homes for the first couple generations.

If you are very set on breeding him then I would try to look for the best HM female you can find - you will end up spending a pretty penny to find the female that you need to begin to clean him up, as she will have to be perfect - 180, wide dorsal, even anal, straight topline, etc. You will also need to find a female to compliment his colors - blue with red wash is undesirable in anything outside the pet trade, so you will probably do best in finding a female with no red to her.

What is your goal in breeding?

Here are some combtails that are "ideal", combtails aren't something most people seek and look to buy, so you're best bet is to get rid of the combtail and try to even him out. If you want to work with combtails then I would suggest learning about the genes and find out how to breed for them and breed them proper. As you can see the difference between your little guy and these true combtails -
Attached Images

Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:43 AM   #3 
Mohankrish99

i'm breeding him just for fun not for sale purpose..
and which female will make good pair for him to get at least close offspring of good quality.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:08 PM   #4 
Myates

You will still need to find homes for all those babies.. are you just going to breed him and then kill off the babies? Or are you going to keep possibly 500+ bettas? Are you willing to spend the hundreds of dollars needed to raise the fry, and the hours per day needed to do their water changes? What are you doing to do with them once they become juveniles and adults? Have to consider that.. breeding bettas isn't easy, it's costly, time and space consuming and unless you have a plan for what to do with the babies, shouldn't be done.. I honestly can't recommend a female other than what I already said - you will need to spend a good amount of money to find the right girl, and the right girl will depend on your goals and what you want.. CT, HM, etc.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:46 PM   #5 
Mohankrish99

Hmm..that's reasonable point...I have one big water pond in my home...I will raise them there...I already breed guppies about 200 babies...just thinking of Betta...its not a big deal than guppies...
Old 06-19-2013, 03:56 PM   #6 
DoctorWhoLuver

When bettas get older they will become more aggressive. You would need to jar all of the males or else they may try to kill each other.
DoctorWhoLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:17 PM   #7 
Mohankrish99

yes I know my local pet store owner promised me to buy them when they get older...
Old 06-21-2013, 05:05 PM   #8 
Ilikebutterflies

To answer your first question:
Quote:
which female will make good pair for him to get at least close offspring of good quality
The answer in none. You will not get good quality offspring.

Hmm. Why not just keep him as a pet and buy a nice pair? He's a cute little pet fish. Not sure what your finances are but any number of breeders and shops will put together a nice pair and ship them to you. You could easily get a good set for $30 including shipping.

One long term goal I have is to start up a junior breeders club that will provide a nice pair of plakat for only the cost of shipping. The pairs will be free from major conformation flaws and will be a well matched color/pattern as to have the best possible chance at re-home able fry.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote