Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-14-2013, 02:10 AM   #1 
Gustersen

New betta!!

Hello All,

I've been a betta fan for a long time, but got out of the hobby for a couple years. But I recently got a new Halfmoon from Aquabid and am enjoying him to the fullest.

But....

He is not eating the pellets I bought him. He is about 2.5 months old (so he's kinda small). I cut the pellets in half because I thought they were normally to big for him to eat. He is still not eating the pellets I cut in half.

I have been out of the Betta hobby for a while so I really don't know what's going on right now. I have had him for 2 days now. He is swimming good and very active, but not eating.

He is a 20g by himself, and the water temperature is 78 degrees.

He hasn't eating much since I got him in the mail. Can anyone help me?

Thank you for your time.
Gustersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:05 AM   #2 
Randompie

sometimes during the initial week or two after receiving a betta the fish is too stressed to eat, which was exactly what happened with one of my females. I managed to get her to eat after offering her bloodworms and brine shrimp (both freeze-dried) interchangeably, then after a few days I introduced other foods with the worms and shrimp. I managed to get her to eat flakes now without the aid of worms or shrimp to trigger the feeding instinct, but I still have a hard time getting her to eat pellets (I have owned her for 2 months now, such a picky eater!).

Most of the time you just need to be patient, my girl just happens to be a silly nit-wit.

Good luck!
Randompie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:05 AM   #3 
ellewar

I would not worry about it yet, you're still in the early stages. It might take him up to a week to be interested in food, especially with such a big tank to explore! If you're worried, you could tempt him with some other types of food, like flakes, bloodworms, or even live bait. I experienced this with my fish, but I found out it was only because he prefers pellets to flakes. My brother's fish is the opposite and prefers flakes to pellets. They all have their own little personalities!
ellewar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:30 PM   #4 
Gustersen

Thank you both very much for your replies.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:40 PM   #5 
countyrd419

If you have a heater for his tank, I would raise the temperature just slightly to
80 - 82 degrees. That is the temperature reading on Rusty's tank. The extra warmth might be get him excited enough to eat.
countyrd419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:24 PM   #6 
ANHEL123

Hey i kind of think that 76-80* is good temperature. If you have 78* i would leave it as it is. The warmer is the temperature the more chance of the infection.
Your betta is just adjusting to the new inviroment If he is acting healthy you don't have to warry right now. But if you will see any behaviour changes (laying on the bottom, hanging on the top in one spot , any visual symptoms on the body) then you have to warry about it.
I also want to give you one link that i think have good information on the best recommended food and a few more tips
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=142066

And also i want to give you another link on the tank care. I assume that your tank is cycled? Just want you to have idea on water changes, filter medica care, etc.
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115758
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:41 PM   #7 
Gustersen

Thank you all for the advice.

I completely forgot about the fish adjusting to his new environment. As of now he is actively swimming around the tank all day. He's pretty interactive also. Every time I look into the tank he comes up and stares at me, so he's not timid.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:45 PM   #8 
ANHEL123

Hey Gustersen how is your betta doing?
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:00 AM   #9 
Gustersen

He's doing very well. I went and bout some Omega 1 betta flakes and he started eating those instantly. I guess he's not a big fan of the pellets. I also got some blood worms that I feed him couple times a week. He loves those.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:03 AM   #10 
RowdyBetta

Do we get to see pics of the lucky fish? :3
RowdyBetta is offline   Reply With Quote