Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-14-2013, 02:25 AM   #1 
Dwarden3

Effect of Age on Betta breeding?

So I have a few questions about breeding as my betta slowly creeps into it older years. This thread might also help others.

1. Is there an age that female bettas become infertile/unwilling to breed?

2. Will younger females discriminate against older males?

3. Is there an age that male bettas become infertile/ unwilling to breed?

4. Will younger males discriminate against older females?

5. Is it better to breed bettas of a similar age?
a. With the male older? How much older?
b. With the female older? How much older?

Also, for each of these 5, are there any changes in spawn size from any of these conditions? If so, I'd love to have them listed, or even ranked.
I am sorry if this seems kinda noobish, but I am completely new to betta breeding, and I want to know all outcomes before trying it out.

Thanks a ton!
Dwarden3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:46 AM   #2 
whatsupyall

Hmm.. I've always managed to breed all bettas that were active. Usually they die or get sick by the time they stop breeding for me. Besides, unless you bred it or followed a spawn log, there is practically no way to know the age of the betta. Lastly, they do not discriminate against age. But you should keep in mind the size different. I believe most people prefer bigger male to female for embracing and better fertilization of the eggs, and other reasons. Anyway, good luck on your journey Dwarden3. Don't forget this forum is filled with vast information, so don't hesitate to use the search button lol.
whatsupyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:21 AM   #3 
indjo
TFK Moderator

NO - to all question.
From experience I believe bettas carry 2 egg sacks like most fish. Only one is used per spawn. They can be bred weekly if need be - as long as they are massed fed with nutritious foods. Eventually they will exhaust "egg production" and need to be rested for a longer period. Unfortunately I never took notice after how many times but I know each individual differs. IMO this is influenced by general health - how badly were they beaten during breeding. I've bred young to 1.5 yr old females with no issues (no deformed fry, normal number of eggs, etc). But if you asked their prime age - I'd say around 6-8 months.

Spawn size depends more on female's size. Full grown females will lay more eggs than smaller ones, regardless of age. I often deliberately stunt female's growth when I plan to breed her to a son. But I don't stunt males, because bigger males can easily breed with smaller females.

So the bottom line is knowing your betta and using breeding setups most appropriate for every individual (male).

One myth believes that if a young male is paired to an old female, they will produce more male fry. Therefore people prefer to use younger males if the pairing suits their goals.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:36 AM   #4 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwarden3 View Post
So I have a few questions about breeding as my betta slowly creeps into it older years. This thread might also help others.

1. Is there an age that female bettas become infertile/unwilling to breed?
Nope, they will want to breed anywhere from 3.5 months to a few years. As long as they are healthy they will be fine to breed. As they get older you may end up with more eggs.. just depends on the female in the end.

2. Will younger females discriminate against older males?
Yes and no.. when an old female is placed next to a young male I've seen them drop eggs on nearly a daily basis when they had never dropped eggs before with a male a little older than them. But "discrimination" can be anything from a dislike of the color of the male or his attitude towards her. If he is a healthy, active male who knows how to woo her, then the age won't matter in the end. I would say the chances of the female not liking the older male for the reason of age is very very very slim.

3. Is there an age that male bettas become infertile/ unwilling to breed?
I would say no - again it will depend on their overall health and activity level and whether or not they are "used to" seeing females on a daily basis. If they are desensitized to females then they won't be as willing to breed, same for females to males - make sure they are separated for a week+ prior to breeding to get them excited over seeing the opposite sex. But in the end, it depends on the male on when he is too "old" to breed, but at that time then he would be really old and would have other signs of old age, etc.

4. Will younger males discriminate against older females?
Nope. When breeding different aged bettas you will have to look at their sizes.. if the female is twice the size of the male they may have trouble wrapping, etc. But a young male will be overly excited to breed. I have 2 4 month old males that I raised split in a tank with a 3 year old female.. they both have huge nests going on and will try to get her attention. She is literally over twice their size and bigger than any other male I've come across (even the ones older than her). A young male will be happy with any age female as the young male is just wanting to get his genes out into the world more than anything else.

5. Is it better to breed bettas of a similar age?
Honestly it makes no difference. Some people have preferences, but in the end it really doesn't matter, imo.

a. With the male older? How much older?
b. With the female older? How much older?

Also, for each of these 5, are there any changes in spawn size from any of these conditions? If so, I'd love to have them listed, or even ranked.
I am sorry if this seems kinda noobish, but I am completely new to betta breeding, and I want to know all outcomes before trying it out.

Thanks a ton!
As for spawn size.. some say the younger they are the smaller the size of the spawn. I semi want to believe that, as my largest spawn of almost 600 was with an older, experienced female who has had a few spawns under her belt.. and my smallest spawn was with a pair I had raised (from that very large spawn lol) whom I bred at 3.5 months and ended up with just over 30 fry.
All other spawns I never actually counted, but the pairings were of fish that were a bit older than the young pair, yet a bit younger than the old female. I haven't kept that close of an eye on the numbers until the fry are a bit older and not as fragile, and by then the numbers could have easily changed since spawning.

Edit: Woops, took me too long to type this up, indjo got here before me :D
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:56 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

Good questions and not noobish at all. You got good advice from Indjo and Myates. They won't steer you wrong. :)
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:36 AM   #6 
Myates

Thanks DQ :D
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breeding, female behavior, male behavior, older fish