Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-14-2013, 09:48 AM   #1 
cdouglas93

Dragon Scale Betta????

When I was recently at Petsmart last weekend I saw they had some of their Betta labeled "Dragon Scale" and although its hard to see clearly in their little cups to begin with I really couldn't see any difference worth the price. Is there something I'm missing?
cdouglas93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:00 AM   #2 
lissienen

What at PetSmart are labeled as "Dragonscale" are really the plakat/halfmoon plakat types, and they are almost always going to have that really rich color. Dragonscale just sounds cooler, that's why they've gone with putting that. Although if your PetSmart is like mine then they will also carry Dragonscale Crowntails that are more expensive than regular Crowntails and that is because of the coloring, which is just... insane, and there's usually only three or four at a time.
lissienen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:19 PM   #3 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah usually most of them actually do have dragon scaling which is a pronounced scale type with richer color. Here is an example of a Dragon, the one in front is an unnamed girl and her sister in the back Jewel. Both are Dragon scales although their scales don't fully form all the way around so that's when you see their under color which is dark on both of them. But you see that you can pretty much see each scale and they have nice colors.

Here's my dragon boy for comparison. You can see he's got a nice rich color and you can see part of his "skunk" stripe or where his scaling doesn't go all over his head.

And here's a regular DT boy for reference. Excuse his tail, he's working on it lol But you see that you can sort of see his scales but there's no rich color and no pronounced scaling. Most Dragons are blue/white in color.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote