Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-14-2013, 12:28 PM   #1 
Raging

Color/Pattern? (Pictures)

Hello :)

I just got my betta fish two days ago, and so far things have been going well- I love watching him.

I was just wondering if anyone might be able to tell me more about his color, pattern, tail type, etc. I mentioned it to my friend and he said "He's blue, just blue, get over it." But I really do love animal genetics and colors so I am curious ^^

He was purchased from Petco, ad his cup had him labeled as a double tail so I guess I know that much at least?

I almost feel bad for him with his translucent ends to his fins. They make his fins look shorter than they really are sometimes. I thought they were pretty but my mom thought he was a female and my boyfriend said he had wimpy "not very majestic and betta-like" fins.
Attached Images

Raging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:40 PM   #2 
Viva

He has great fins, very proportionate double tail which is hard to find. Usually one side of the double-tails is small and the other side is large, making it look sloppy. His is equally split though so its very nice looking. He is definitely blue and white but he looks like he is a marble pattern. That means his colors may change, he might fill in to be all blue or he might gain more white as time goes on. Some marbles change color throughout their entire lives, so it looks like you have a new fish every few months! He is also probably still young, and so his fins will probably get longer and the edges will gain color as his gets older.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:09 PM   #3 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

He's a piebald blue butterfly double tail! Although his split doesn't go all the way to his body (which I ideal for showing and stuff) it is wonderfully balanced and beautiful! Certainly has the marble gene in him so that will be exciting to watch him!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:10 PM   #4 
Raging

Thank you so much!

I didn't realize how much a betta's colors can change. It will be interesting to see what he does as he grows.

I really liked his white patches- it reminds me of a paint horse.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:35 PM   #5 
Raging

I didn't see your reply before I posted, lilnaugrim, thank you very much ^^

I can gather what piebald is from being a horse nerd, but I've never heard of butterfly before- what does that mean?
Old 06-14-2013, 01:55 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Haha np! Well he's not a true Butterfly, looking back at him now. But a Butterfly patter is when the edge of the tail has a nice clear band of color going all the way around his fins. He's got it partially with the clear edging on his fins but it looks like that might fill in with the blue later down the road! But he sure is gorgeous either way

And yes Piebald is just the skin tone on his head, similar to horses. So I'd just classify him as a Piebald Marble Double Tail
Old 06-14-2013, 02:13 PM   #7 
Viva

Hahaha, piebald is such a funny word. I had no idea that's what bettas with skin-tone heads are called! I hope he marbles for you! I wish I had a marbling betta :D
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:55 PM   #8 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

It is a funny word! I once had a beautiful piebald butterfly Betta, he was so sick when I first rescued him and I couldn't keep calling him "the new Betta" because it was too long to type so I started to call him Piebald after his coloration and it stuck even when I tried to rename him I couldn't lol He unfortunately jumped from his tank and didn't survive But that in turn helped me start my sorority so...it's a weird situation lol he was a good little fishie though.

But I agree, always thought piebald was a weird term XD
Old 06-14-2013, 05:30 PM   #9 
RussellTheShihTzu

No matter what your BF says, he is gorgeous, very masculine and majestic. Tell him anyone with an ounce of Betta knowledge would know that. ^smile^

You could also fudge a bit and tell him he's a "rare" piebald...he wouldn't know the difference.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:43 PM   #10 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellTheShihTzu View Post
No matter what your BF says, he is gorgeous, very masculine and majestic. Tell him anyone with an ounce of Betta knowledge would know that. ^smile^

You could also fudge a bit and tell him he's a "rare" piebald...he wouldn't know the difference.
True facts! Although you don't commonly see piebalds that the skin color extends to the stomach with the black on his head as well. I've never seen a blue one either, generally they're completely marble pattern so they've got all sorts of colors on them unlike your boy here! So yes in a way he is a "rare" piebald