Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-16-2013, 11:28 AM   #21 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Okay Alkaline is a water type, not a level of your water. Parameters that you worry about are Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates.

And fin rot would appear black edges and like the fin is "dead" at the edges, her fins aren't spread out because she's not feeling well so they are clamped.

Okay so you're getting new gravel and new filter, and are you going to split the tank for the Betta's or are they all going in different tanks?

Have you tested your tap water for ammonia, you could have some ammonia in there. Also Prime does not get rid of ammonia, it just detoxifies it for 48 hours which means it turns ammonia into something harmless for a little while and then ammonia can come back if you do not have the Nitrogen Cycle to eat it up. That's why it's important to cycle your tanks before you get your fishies.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:37 PM   #22 
resa

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Okay Alkaline is a water type, not a level of your water. Parameters that you worry about are Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates.

And fin rot would appear black edges and like the fin is "dead" at the edges, her fins aren't spread out because she's not feeling well so they are clamped.

Okay so you're getting new gravel and new filter, and are you going to split the tank for the Betta's or are they all going in different tanks?

Have you tested your tap water for ammonia, you could have some ammonia in there. Also Prime does not get rid of ammonia, it just detoxifies it for 48 hours which means it turns ammonia into something harmless for a little while and then ammonia can come back if you do not have the Nitrogen Cycle to eat it up. That's why it's important to cycle your tanks before you get your fishies.
I'm going to clean outr the 10g tank with the vinegar and the decor...I'm going to replace the filter some time today...I will try to buy some gravel but I don't want the ones with fake color bc always notice when cleaning the tank there's pieces of the color off the rocks floating around.....right now I'm trying feed her betta pellets, flake food and dried blood worms but she isn't eating. I can tell she's very stressed...I did a 100% water change for her bowl bc all the food and waste was to much...now yes my tap water test high for ammonia.....so I bought great value brand springs water from Wal-Mart.... is that ok to use...bc I bought ten gallons
resa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:23 PM   #23 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yes Spring water is fine because it still contains the minerals that your fish need. Just like us, they need the minerals and vitamins from the water. You can also mix it with your tap water so it's not as much. But I highly advise that you cycle that 10 gallon because then you won't have to worry about buying spring water all the time. The Beneficial Bacteria that you grow during the Nitrogen Cycle will automatically turn that ammonia into nitrites and then into nitrates so that it's not harmful to your fish.

I like natural colored gravel as well, I usually always go for the black usually makes the fishes color pop up unless it's a black fish haha

I bet she's most likely stressed because she's not too warm right now, anyway you can put a heater in her bowl? She'll be alright but she does need the warmth, especially Baby Betta's. Also make sure you take out any food right away that she doesn't eat, that will spoil her water faster

I just wanted to let you know, sorry if you already knew it, but anything Freeze-Dried actually promotes constipation in fish so feed sparingly. I also have Freeze-Dried Bloodworms but I give as a treat every two weeks and that's it. ^_^
Old 06-16-2013, 03:23 PM   #24 
resa

how many gallons of spring water to use in the tank?..I just got new filter and submersible heater. no rocks yet....
Old 06-16-2013, 03:26 PM   #25 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

You can do half and half if you want, so 5 gallons of spring and 5 of tap. However to start the cycle up I'd go with all the spring water until your cycle is stable.

Do you know how to cycle a tank? We have a sticky on it in the Betta Habitat, Tank and Bowl section that I can give you a link to if you can't find it.
Old 06-16-2013, 03:34 PM   #26 
resa

out of the products I have which ones do I put in?

1. Aqua Culture, betta care kit...premeasured tablets... says, makes tap water safe for bettas.

2.Tetra EasyBalance .. reduces water changes...maintains water chemistry and ph..maintenance. use weekly

3.Tetra aquasafe, dechlorinates and conditions, replenishes protective slime coat for all freshwater aquariums...maintenance use monthly...instructions say, should use when setting up new aquarium

4. Jungle. ammonia clear fizz tabs. reduces ammonia levels, removes chlorine and chloramine..instructions say use as needed solution

5. jungle. lifeguard all in one treatment effective against ich and fungus use one tab every 24 hours for 5 days
Old 06-16-2013, 03:36 PM   #27 
resa

there's more than one thread about diff types of cycle..which one do I need
Old 06-16-2013, 03:45 PM   #28 
resa

I also bought aq salt should I use that to
Old 06-16-2013, 11:16 PM   #29 
resa

tank in process of cycling
Old 06-17-2013, 08:29 AM   #30 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

This is the thread I use: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=111960

AQ salt is for treating external illnesses like Ich, Velvet, Body slime infections and fin rot. To be used no more than 14 days at a time and never for a therapeutic dosage as it can harm a fishes liver and kidney's, resulting in failure of the organs (dropsy). However it's great to have on hand and works wonderful for curing those illnesses that I spoke of

And as far as your products go, Aqua Culture and the Tetra AquaSafe do the same things so you use one of them each time that you do a water change. So say that you take out 5 gallons of water (half of your 10 gallons) and you want to put 5 gallons back in, you use the correct amount of drops/capful for 5 gallons of water which makes it safe for your fish. Without conditioner there are things both in tap water and Spring water which are bad like chlorine (not present in Spring water), heavy metals and sometimes ammonia (as is in your tap) and so conditioner will detoxify these things making it safe for your fish!

I wouldn't use the Jungle lifeguard unless you have a serious illness that you need to cure, otherwise you'd just be stressing your fish out, so just hold onto it for now

And then the Jungle Ammonia tablets do very similar to the other two conditioners where it makes tap water/spring water safe for fishes. It also helps turn the ammonia into ammonium just like what Prime by SeaChem does so you can choose to use that only since you do have ammonia in your tap or you can disregard it.

And then the Tetra EasyBalance, I wouldn't suggest using that since it tampers with your pH level. Even if you have a higher pH level coming from your tap, your Betta's can adjust to it with proper acclimation.

If you need to know how to successfully acclimate your new Betta's for when they first arrive at your home, I can tell you about that as well.

But as far as your purchases go I would just use the Tetra AquaSafe and not worry about the ammonia in your tap. Once your cycle gets finished you'll never have to worry about buying spring water again

Let me know if you need help with the cycling process as well