Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-17-2013, 06:11 PM   #41 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Don't use anything wild, they carry a whole host of bacteria and parasites which equals BAD!

IAL and Banana Leaves as well as dried Oak Leaves give off a thing called tannins, they will turn your water a light tea color (Don't worry it can be taken out with water changes) But it helps the Betta adjust to it's new home. They also have minor antibacterial properties to help ward off bad bacteria for your fish.

You can use the minnows for the cycle and then just take them and put them up for adoption back at the Petco. You can use 2-3 fish for it, just enough to create waste but not enough waste to hurt them. You can use your tap water after you run out of spring water, it will just give more food for your bacteria. If you lose a fish, throw it away and continue with the 1 or 2 that you have left until you get a reading of ZERO ammonia, ZERO nitrites and anywhere from 0-80ppm's of nitrates. Once you get those readings, you do a large water change (about 75%) and replace water and test again the next day (a whole 24 hours) and if your ammonia is at ZERO then your tank is cycled!

And yes you can use the rocks, I put them under running HOT tap water, extremely hot for about 5-10 minutes and let them cool off before placing them in the tank. It's the equivalent to boiling them.

EDIT: oh and substrate is what you use on the floor i.e. your gravel or sand, soil, marbles, glass rocks, dirt, etc.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:26 PM   #42 
resa

ok well I will be doing the fish in cycle with my new bettas bc they can't stay in those small bowls 4ever and I.no I no longer havevthat baby betta I took her back and got new bettas will put pics up soon going to Walmart for more filtering bc I have to use my larger tank
resa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:34 PM   #43 
resa

I cant afford any more jug water... so what I was going to do is take the water from 10g tank and put in my larger tank and fill it the rest of the way up withtap water....and put new bettas in after 24 hrs
Old 06-17-2013, 08:42 PM   #44 
wish4coner

It appears to be either a wild or a cross with a wild--with the vertical stripes.
wish4coner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:02 PM   #45 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

@wish4coner, it's a baby betta, those stripes are normal for the fry, I believe you know that. She looked like a PK to me.

Anyway's 24 hours still does nothing for your cycle. But yes Fish-In cycle, you just need to really keep an eye on that ammonia everyday until all your readings are reading at zero within a 24 hour period. Of course that's not going to happen now because you don't have any fish pooping in your tank.

Okay so you have the 10 gallon and you have a larger tank as well? What exactly are you doing here cuz I'm confused haha are you cycling the 10 gallon (which will take a month to complete) or just going to use the bigger tank? Are you dividing it for your new Betta's?
Old 06-17-2013, 09:25 PM   #46 
resa

Well it was an impulsive decision but since I bought the bettas my 10g isn't big enough....I have 4 ct female and 1 male...one of the females had a huge egg spot....I assume she's been bred already and possibly the mother to a few of my juv bettas but I'm in the way home to start the cycle on what I think is a30g tank.....and I have to just go from there.....learning experience for me..... will post pics to see how old you think they ask are etc
Old 06-17-2013, 09:27 PM   #47 
resa

btw the mgr at petco said I should cycle my tank with ground meat for 4 days......I never heard of that before
Old 06-17-2013, 09:48 PM   #48 
xxRho

Quote:
Originally Posted by resa View Post
the ammonia and alkaline is always sky high and I'm suppose to b buying some top of line bettas and I don't want to lose them this go round....also I have some great value brand spring water I bought at Walmart can I use that to fill up the tank I have 10g of it

If the ammonia is really high try upping the water changes to every 2 days.

Her fins may appear smaller as she gets more clamped =[

Also alkaline is interchangeable with basic.
If the pH is above 7 it is considered "alkaline" (aka "basic").
If the pH is below 7 it is considered "acidic"
A pH of 7 is considered neutral.

Ammonia is used by the body to neutralize weak acids in waste so is considered a weak base however it can act as either a weak acid or a weak base. Either way it causes burns and over time destroys the gills which leads to extreme stress, shock and death.

Also don't forget to de-chlorinate the water =]

How is she going now?

I have a little baby too (she is in my dp/avi)
xxRho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:50 PM   #49 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

If you read the other comments on that link that I gave you there is a raw shrimp method you can do. Any shrimp from the frozen food isle in a market will do and then you put it in some pantyhose or mesh (it does rot) for easy removal and that can cycle your tank as well. That gives your BB a source of ammonia to feed from. You may have to replace the shrimp when it gets too nasty, in which case throw all of it away and get some new pantyhose to put the shrimp in (or just cut another section from the one you cut the toe off of).

You should read the other comments in that link I gave you so you see your different options.

As far as starting a sorority (which is what you're doing with putting 4 females in one tank) I'd suggest getting at least 2 more females to round it to 6. Females are just as aggressive as males and will fight for the first two weeks you have them in there. They are establishing who is alpha and the rest of the pecking order. But the more females you have, the more spread out the aggression is, you see?

I also know that you should quarantine your new females for at least 2 weeks when you first get them so you do not introduce disease into your tank. With these girls that you're getting now they can just go in but when you get new girls, place them in a QT tank for 2 weeks so to make sure they aren't bringing in disease that will kill your fish. I use the cups that the store fish come in and I change the water every other day so that they don't get ammonia poisoning but I float them in the big tank so that the older girls can get used to the new girl and visa versa. It helps for them you introduce them to the sorority.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:48 PM   #50 
resa

ok i have added the little bit of rocks and the 10 gallons and some jug water and about to add tap water that's where I'm at now just thought I'd update