Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-16-2013, 07:31 AM   #1 
Bekazzled

Different fathers same spawn?

I have a query - for this particular breeding, I found that my female had started mating while I was away and seemed to have dropped her eggs under the male's bubble nest before he could embrace her. (They are brother and sister - mustard gas halfmoons). I didn't once see him embrace her (though he might have before I came home) but I did see both him and his sister putting the bubbles in the nest.

The next morning (about 15 hours later) I discovered that the male had destroyed his bubble nest (I'd taken the female out right after the mating). Or somehow it was utterly gone. (The tank was sealed, I've bred them before.) I put bubbles from the tank of another male (green veiltail) into my Mustard Gas's tank and put the female back in, hoping she might help her brother pick up the eggs at the bottom and put them into this new nest. (It was his first time by the way.)

A few hours later I put some of the eggs just floating around in the tank into a cup and poured them into the tank of the green male veiltail (whose nest I had entirely stolen). I slept on it, and it's 48 hours later and all of the babies in the green veiltail's large tank have grown and are free swimming around healthily because he made a nest for them overnight.

My questions are:

- Are the fry likely to have the genes of their MG father or the male green veiltail? I'm not sure whether the MG "fertilized" the nest, and is it possible my green veiltail fertilized these eggs when he made the nest for them?

- I still have some eggs hanging around the MG's tank, not in bubbles. It's been a bit over 48 hours now. Should I leave the eggs in his tank? Should I put them in the tank of the veiltail? (I am by the way fully prepared and would welcome lots of little veil tails, I just want them to survive.) Some of the eggs are floating on the top, some on the bottom.

Thank you for all of your help.
Bekazzled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:49 AM   #2 
Riverotter

The eggs are fertilized during the spawning embrace. The male does not release sperm into the nest itself. So without the green veiltail being able to embrace the female, there's no way he could have fertilized the eggs.

But I think a story about an adoptive father on Father's Day is especially sweet. :)

I don't think I'd move the eggs, because if they're dead, they'll fungus and endanger your free-swimming fry.
Riverotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:06 AM   #3 
Bekazzled

Oh yes I saw it's Father's Day in the US!!! (I used to live in North America, live back home in Australia Day now... our Father's Day is in September). But how timely is that? Very sweet indeed...

I'm just so excited the little guys are ALIVE. And if the mustard gas is the father as it seems, I have to say that breeding the world's biggest OHM mustard gas with his sister might turn out pretty damned well. Now for the painstaking process of keeping them alive over the months... totally worth it.

Thanks for your info!
Bekazzled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:55 AM   #4 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Foster parenting method is common when our breeders - the ones whose genetics we want are bad fathers or not healthy enough to properly care for fry (We will call male A). This method needs two pairs spawn in approximately the same time - male A and male B as the foster who MUST be a known good father.

Some breeders totally replace ALL of the original eggs with male's A so that there won't be any mix ups/doubts who's fry it is. Further this reduces the total number of eggs/fry that must be cared for by the foster father. Other breeders just mix the two batches mainly because they are different tail types. But consequently the foster father has twice as many eggs/fry to care for.

As stated above, fertilization occurs during embrace. Therefore there won't be any mixed genetics between the two pairs. Each batch will carry its parent's genes.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote