Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-14-2013, 07:16 PM   #1 
ArdenAurelius

Betta color change

he was black with a blue fin when i first got him from walmart, but now he looks like a muted steel betta with some blue on his fins. he's in a tall 3 gallon tank that's unfiltered and unheated due to budget issues. I am however, monitoring the temp until we can get a heater next month and do one 20% water change and one 50% water change every week. I feed him the same food Walmart was feeding him and i feed him a small amount of flakes once a day. I plan on getting him a larger tank with a filter and a heater for the larger tank as my christmas gift. He's very active and swims around alot, and he seems to really like the thermometer. i do have an airstone with an adjustable pump, which i have set so it won;t make much current. Here's a pic, the flash made the blue pop though
ArdenAurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:46 PM   #2 
ArdenAurelius

here's a better picture that's more true to his color
Old 06-15-2013, 03:49 PM   #3 
sainthogan

Shine a flashlight on him and see if you see any gold or rust colored "dust" on him. If he does, then he has Velvet, which would account for the color change. Velvet is caused by a parasite that lives in the water. If a fish's immune system is compromised, it can attach itself to the body. Several things will compromise the immune system, including water that is too cold. If he has Velvet, you'll need to get a heater pronto and medication. Then you will need to make sure he's kept in the dark, and a minimum of 76 degrees while you do the treatment.
It is very possible that he was sick before you got him, and is now just starting to show signs. The worse it gets, the worse he will begin to look. His fins will begin to clamp and he will become lethargic and refuse to eat. Generally Velvet starts by the gills and spreads to the rest of the body. My girl had it and she was supposed to be a purple/red color, but had completely turned a dull rust color, she was completely coated in it and it took about 2 weeks of treatment and dark, warm water to cure her.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 04:55 PM   #4 
ArdenAurelius

I maintain the water temperature at about 78-74 degrees, it starts at 78 and drops one degree each day til i change it and then i acclimate him again. when i shine the light from him he reflects blue and a yellowish color that looks a bit like gold , which is a small spot on his face and gill flap, but it looks like it;s reflecting from the scales , as it;s metallic. He's very active and inquistive, not lethargic and eats when i feed him. I think he may have had ammonia poisioning due to the terrible water conditions they had him in at Walmart, i just wanted to make sure he wasn;t still sick or getting sick. the gold color looks like this but a tad darker

Last edited by ArdenAurelius; 06-15-2013 at 05:04 PM.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:38 PM   #5 
sainthogan

That could be Velvet. Like I said, he could have started getting it at Wal-Mart and you're just seeing the signs of it now. He won't be lethargic until it starts to get really bad. It will look metallic and like it's reflecting, and it will start around his gills. The color change in his body could just be a physical change indicating that something is wrong, kind of like our skin color sometimes becomes pale when we are sick. I also wouldn't doubt that he has ammonia poisoning as well.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 05:50 PM   #6 
ArdenAurelius

I'll keep an eye on him to see if it is velvet, don;t want to medicate without being 100% sure, medication should be given when you are sure what it is. I'm hoping it;s just pigmentation, cuz i've seen gold bettas that were healthy.

Tags
color change, new fish