Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-15-2013, 03:46 PM   #11 
Riverotter

She ;)

Gold fish can come in a lot of colors. White, grey, copper, red, yellow, black along with the classic orangey-gold. And some just stay the original plain carp brown.
But the VAST majority of them start out copper or brown and then go to gold, starting at the belly and fading up. Sometimes as it fades, the brown gets nearly black and is very striking looking. From the pattern on the little guy above, he is fading.

Most (but not all) colored ones also start out coppery brown. Red and white often start out very dark. This is a survival trait. Fry that start out with the bright, pretty colors get quickly eaten by their parents and faster-growing siblings.
This is why when people buy them for ponds, they generally want them 4 inch body length or bigger. By then the color has stabilized.
Riverotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 04:08 PM   #12 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh you she? or the goldfish is a she? lol

Oooh okay so that makes sense why many of our little ones are black/brown and then a few bigger are half orange and half black.

So is the color change go for all species of goldfish or just Commons? Like does it go for Comet's as well?
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 04:39 PM   #13 
Riverotter

All of them, even the fancies. But not the black moors, they darken instead of lighten, and I'm not sure about the shubunkins.
:) and I'm the she, lol. You can't tell with a goldfish till they're bigger.
Riverotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 04:40 PM   #14 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh okay! Didn't realize you were a she haha

Good to know thank you!
Old 06-15-2013, 08:06 PM   #15 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Well just found out that her tank is sitting at 70 degree's, I found a thermometer and stuck it in for a few minutes, the Zebra's love to nibble and it's so cute. I was trying to get the goldie to come up but he was a little too scared even after 10 minutes lol That's alright, so yeah sitting a 70 degree's....

I really hope she lets me help her clean it out, I can see she's never done a gravel vac before and it's been set up for about a year here....yeah....not good