Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-02-2013, 08:58 PM   #1 
Goodbettabest

Is this tank suitable for a betta sorority?

Ok so i got a second hand tank & stand for a great price and am deciding what to put in it. I would love to set up a betta sorority but am unsure whether this tank would be suitable or not. It is a 26 gal measurements in inches are: 29.5 L x 12 D x 17.5 H. I know it is rather tall but will the 29.5 inch length still give the necessary floor space required? If not, i may have to go with plan "B".....guppies!
Goodbettabest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:00 PM   #2 
Deanna01

It should be just fine, because they're going to mostly hang out at the top anyway.
Deanna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:19 AM   #3 
AyalaCookiejar

A 26 gallon is plenty big. Although generally more surface area is better, it's the volume that's most important. My sorority is only 10 gallons so yours is more than twice the size. Just make sure you have tall plants/floating plants. IMO, as long as you have at least 10 gallons, 5 girls and your parameters are perfect (cycled or tons of live plants or both) it can be difficult to go wrong.

You'll want to quarantine for sure, and heavy decorating will help keep stress down. Things like QTing, keeping down stress and keeping the water parameters perfect are really the biggest key to sororities. You want to do your best to prevent sickness. The girls will nip and chase and tail slap a little, and a few are not suitable for sorority life, but as long as you are doing as much as you can to keep them healthy they will usually figure out everything else on their own.

So to answer your question, the tank itself is just fine, the important part is how you set it up and maintain it.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:20 AM   #4 
waterdog

Fish are very adaptable. Go for it!
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:24 AM   #5 
Goodbettabest

So exciting!!!! I can't wait to get it up & running! Would 10 girls be a good number for that size tank? With say 3 Albino corys added into the mix? My next question is that i have found the girls i want to buy but the tank isn't fully cycled. I don't have 10 spare heated tanks at the moment but would it work if i housed them all in separate smaller containers but float them inside the main tank while it is cycling so they get the benefit of the heater? I guess that would also serve as a quarantine period to make sure none of them have diseases & would also get them used to seeing each other. I would do daily water changes to the small containers of course. Good idea or bad idea? I am aware i will need to make sure i have alternative housing arrangements in place if it all goes pear shaped & they need to be separated but don't want to go out & buy 10 extra tanks and heaters if they are not going to be required
Old 06-18-2013, 06:42 AM   #6 
Canis

Small containers with daily w/c would be fine ^^ That is what I am doing now while my girls are under quarantine.
Canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:30 AM   #7 
lissienen

Oh yes, that all sounds very good - you're doing it all the right way :) Though if you could then I'd maybe up the number of cories to four or five, the more of them that you have the happier that they'll be and they are always a whole lot of fun to watch swim around. Three is acceptable, but they are great schoolers and they will stay nice and small.

I'm terribly jealous you're able to get hold of the albino's, my store hasn't been able to get them in stock for months. I love my juli's, but it was the albino's I had my heart set on since my sand is black and they would just pop out against it.
lissienen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:57 PM   #8 
Goodbettabest

I was worried about overstocking but if you think it would be fine with 5 cories then i will definitely get more. Black sand, colourful girls and little white cories - it is going to be soooo pretty!! You guys in the US tend to have heaps of variety & everything is so much cheaper than here in Aus so I'm very grateful i can get the cories locally cos all the girls will have to be imported. Where i live is so far away from any other major cities in Australia so we are severely limited what we can get here :( oh well, where their is a will there is a way!!
Old 06-19-2013, 10:58 AM   #9 
Shadyr

My sorority lives in a 36G bowfront which is pretty tall. I have a fair number of plants in it that reach the surface. As someone else noted they would, the girls mostly hang out near the surface. I do have one that thinks she's a tetra and is usually down with them. The rest wander at all levels, but default to the top.
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote