Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
View Poll Results: Is substrate needed for a betta tank?
Yes 15 40.54%
Nope 22 59.46%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-15-2013, 12:30 AM   #1 
finnfinnfriend

Is substrate needed for a betta?

Some say yes, some say no....so what is it? What do you think? Why?
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:39 AM   #2 
jadaBlu

Without substrate you would want clean up the poop daily as there is nothing absorb it. I saw one person had painted the bottom of their tank in some neat way so that might be an option. I find the water stays fresher with it but initially when I get fish they often are in quarantine without it. I figure it doesn't give parasites a place to stay and lay eggs if they have them.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:58 AM   #3 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadaBlu View Post
Without substrate you would want clean up the poop daily as there is nothing absorb it. I saw one person had painted the bottom of their tank in some neat way so that might be an option. I find the water stays fresher with it but initially when I get fish they often are in quarantine without it. I figure it doesn't give parasites a place to stay and lay eggs if they have them.
Yes but the substrate doesn't actually "absorb" it....The poop is still there whether there's substrate or not...
Old 06-15-2013, 01:06 AM   #4 
Betta Bonnie

bare bottom

I have bare bottoms and love them that way. I clean them every day with a turkey baster.
Betta Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:07 AM   #5 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta Bonnie View Post
I have bare bottoms and love them that way. I clean them every day with a turkey baster.
Is reflection on the bottom of the tank an issue at all?
Old 06-15-2013, 01:07 AM   #6 
Kiara1125

I use gravel to provide as a growing material for beneficial bacteria. I use gravel vacs whenever I change the water, so I suck up all the poop. I also like the substrate, because it provides as a stable place for roots with plants. Ilove to have my betta tanks planted, since my bettas love lounging around on the leaves and such. :)
Kiara1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:09 AM   #7 
Kiara1125

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
Is reflection on the bottom of the tank an issue at all?
The bottom shouldn't have a reflection. The betta should see right through to the stand it's on or whatever you use. It may appear reflective, because you're looking at it from the outside of the tank rather than the top. But, if the bottom is reflective, then that's a not so good betta tank, IMO.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:50 AM   #8 
Tikibirds

Is it needed...nope. I had some kritter keepers that were bare bottom because I would carry them over to the sink and just dump all the water out every week. It's doable with grave or sand but alot easier without it.

All my tanks have either sand or gravel though. Most are divided so I need something on the bottom to hold the divider in place and I just got some eco complete for plants so this weeend I am redoing the 20G with that and adding in live plants.

Sand is easier to see the poop because it lays on top of it, with gravel it can fall into the cracks so you dont see it but it is still there. you need to siphon to remove it
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:55 AM   #9 
Kiara1125

But you have to be careful with sand, because it can get really messy and fog up the tank pretty quickly if it's disturbed.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:59 AM   #10 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Kiara, gravel doesn't provide nearly as much surface area for bb to grow on as bio filter media that is designed for that purpose, so it is not nescessary.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote