Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
View Poll Results: Is substrate needed for a betta tank?
Yes 15 40.54%
Nope 22 59.46%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-18-2013, 07:47 PM   #61 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Not really. Mine never seemed bothered at all.
Well then I don't see how its needed other than it looks good...
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:54 AM   #62 
Haikuhug

finnfinnfriend - the thing is that some of us like to use substrate for a wide variety of reasons including that we think it's healthier for our fish (including in tanks that don't have filters, which can include for some people tanks that are bigger than the tiny ones, I have an unfiltered ten gallon that does very well, for people who continue to go on about how beneficial bacteria needs to be held in the filter), or that it looks prettier, or that we plant natural plants there... or whatever reason. And then some people don't like it and that's totally fine too. Different opinions happen and everyone's explaining their's, but you're only poking at little reasons you disagree with in the substrate people because I'm guessing you don't use substrate...? And that kind of seems... unfair. There is nothing wrong with anyone who wants to use substrate even *just* because it's prettier or matches the color of their betta. If you're just curious then just let them state what they want to without then... disagreeing almost every time. That's more asking for debate and attempting to change minds, which won't really happen, especially with people who've kept tanks for years and love the way they do it and how healthy they are.
Haikuhug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:56 AM   #63 
SnowySurface

SUbstrate does have some benefits. Beneficial bacteria can grow in substrate even if it is mainly found in filter media. It is needed for plants that have a root system and can hold down fake plants. I will admit that my list of uses is small, but substrate does do more than look good. XD
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:24 AM   #64 
finnfinnfriend

I actually do use substrate, lol. Just trying to find out if it's really needed for good care or not. Not poking anyone. As stated earlier this is a civil debate, which is fine. It's totally fine that some people think it's necessary and some don't. Just makin conversation :)
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote