Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-15-2013, 12:39 AM   #1 
ShadyLex

Super small white worms?

Today I noticed some white worms in my planted tank. They're incredibly thin and small and they wiggling around when in the open water. They're roundish, so they're roundworms and are segmented from what I could see.

Are they harmful to bettas? The tank is currently empty of fish and I've been changing the water a whole lot this past week. I'm also going to be gone for a week on vacation and are they going to overrun the tank while I'm away?

I have a 10 gal tank, sand bottom, 2 anubis, 1 java fern, and some duckweed.
ShadyLex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:35 PM   #2 
Nibblez

If they are really tiny, like a few millimeters long, then I had this in my tank not too long ago, if i am not mistaken, these are just the microworms that are naturally occurring in planted tank's substrates. I had otos in my tank when this happened but they were fine, did some research on them, apparently they only appear due to a lack of oxygen in the tank and go to the surface. They are not harmful, should go away after a while, mine disappeared after a few days.
Nibblez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:28 AM   #3 
ShadyLex

Thank you. I was thinking about doing a 100% water change when I return home from my vacation. It's been about a month since the tank has been set up and I would like to give it a nice wash before I get my betta. When doing a 100% water change what do I need to keep wet and what should I replace?
ShadyLex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 03:12 AM   #4 
Nibblez

Without knowing what your tank is like, its hard to say, but assuming it has a substrate system with live plants etc in there, you'd want to siphon out all the water to about the lowest point in your tank without disturbing the substrate. Then refill with aged water, just dont leave the filter media and plants without water for too long, as long as they dont dry up. Just note that doing a 100% water change in a cycled planted tank does affect the tank quite a bit, it can destabilized the water parameters in your tank, so it would be safer to do that, then let it stabilize over a few days as you check the parameters before putting your betta in.
Nibblez is offline   Reply With Quote