Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-14-2013, 11:52 PM   #1 
DoctorWhoLuver

Betta is Always Clamped

My betta from Aquabid arrived two weeks ago. Ever since then, he's been clamped up and sometimes lethargic. He refuses to eat pellets and will only accept freeze dried bloodworms. The ammonia level of his tank is around .25ppm... I do not know what is wrong him and really do not want to lose him. His tank is at 80 degrees and has no tank mates. I put in 3-4 oak leaves in his tank.
DoctorWhoLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:13 AM   #2 
Kiara1125

First off, I think they need almond leaves, not oak leaves. Secondly, the leaf rotting might be causing the ammonia level to rise. Try to lower the ammonia level in the tank by doing more frequent water changes [unless if the tap water has that amount of ammonia in it]. Anyways, how badly is he clamped? Can you get a picture of him? My plakat will relax his fins so that he looks clamped when he's actually not. But, the lethargy concerns me a bit. Try taking out the oak leaves, since I don't think that they should belong in his tank. Try putting in live aquatic plants to help with breaking down the ammonia. Does the tank have enough beneficial bacteria in it [is it a cycled tank?]
Kiara1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:33 AM   #3 
DoctorWhoLuver

I have been told and read that oak leaves can be used when IAL is not available.
And the tap water seems to have ammonia of .25-.5
Old 06-15-2013, 12:40 AM   #4 
darkangel

Urm, I never heard of using oak leaves... maybe you should remove it for now?

if you have ammonia in your tap water, I suggest you use prime, it helps neutralize them. you might want to get a portion of fasting growing plants too, I find they lower ammonia when used with prime.

have you checked him for parasites like ick or weird white poop for internal ones?
darkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:42 AM   #5 
Kiara1125

Ok, then just add some live plants to help keep the ammonia down. I would suggest doing small water changes only when necessary. Try using API Stress Coat or Seachem Prime to help get rid of the ammonia. Also, make sure that there is at least gravel so that the beneficial bacteria can grow and help break down the ammonia to nitrites and then to nitrates faster. Only feed him as much as he can eat and only use a turkey baster or something along those lines to suck up any poop that you see. Try to keep the water clean without changing the water.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:54 AM   #6 
DoctorWhoLuver

Oak Leaves: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=50272&
I will try to get some live plants and he doesn't poop.. but he doesn't seem to have any external parasites (no twitching/darting/doesn't seem to be sprinkled in salt or rust/nothing strange about his exterior).

But he does tend to flare a lot.. at almost everything and I know they are just instinctual, but he's also been building bubble nests.
Attached Images

Old 06-15-2013, 02:23 PM   #7 
Kiara1125

He's gorgeous! He reminds me of how my male PK always relaxed his fins. Do his fins flare out completely when he flares? My male will relax his fins a lot and I thought something was wrong. I put him in a divided 10g where he could see my other males and now he's more active and flared out more.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:07 PM   #8 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yes you can use Oak Leaves in lieu of IAL.

Quit feeding him Freeze-dried BW's though, those can promote constipation. Is there anyway that you can get frozen foods? Those would be much better. Almost all AB fish have been eating live foods all their lives so it's difficult sometimes switching to pellet foods. What kind of pellets do you have?

My AB girl will only take Omega One Pellets, not the NLS that all my other girls swear by.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:59 PM   #9 
LittleBlueFishlets

Oak leaves are absolutely fine. They provide tannins similar to those provided by Indian Almond Leaves (IAL), make the water slightly more acidic, and have mild antimicrobial effect.

What water conditioner are you using? Since your tap water has a small amount of ammonia, you may want consider the following options:
  1. Use a water conditioner that temporarily neutralizes ammonia by converting it to ammonium. The conversion only last for about 48 hours though. So you may need to do more frequent water changes than the usual recommendation.
  2. You could use some bottled drinking water in lieu of tap water. Make sure it's drinking water, preferably "with minerals added for flavor." The minerals are electrolytes and are required to maintain good health. (Do not use distilled water!)

Increase the humidity in the tank. This will help him breathe more easily, and has a soothing effect. You can put plastic food wrap over the top of the tank to do this. Be sure to leave at least several inches of air.

If possible, find some mosquito larvae outside. Rinse them with a little water before putting them in the tank.

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 06-15-2013 at 11:01 PM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:09 PM   #10 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I would definatly cycle your tank to negate the ammonia in your tap water. What I would do is start using seachem prime as a water conditioner, and then add the water to your cycled tank. What will happen is the prime will convert the ammonia into non toxic ammonium for 48 hours, and in that time the beneficial bacteria will break the ammonium down into even less toxic nitrates.

Oak leaves are fine.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote