Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-15-2013, 12:32 AM   #1 
quietlythundering

Exclamation Pineconing and popeye

Ray Charles, my blind fish, is pineconing and has popeye. I've changed his water, and have put 2 teaspoons of Epsom salt (one teaspoon for each gallon) in the tank, along with stresscoat and prime. I haven't dealt with either of these things before (that is the above mentioned symptoms), and I'm scared for my poor boy, and I need to know if I am doing this right before I add him in; and if not, then please, please help me.
quietlythundering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:43 AM   #2 
darkangel

I read that dropsy is hard to recover from =(. But I read Epsom salt is suppose to help? Im not too familiar with it so maybe someone else can help you.

you can treat popeye with a antibiotic like jungle's fungus clear, I bought my at walmart, my betta had a swollen eye when i first got him, i used it for a week and it went away.
darkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:45 AM   #3 
quietlythundering

Thank you. Even hearing a little bit of advice is good. I'm hoping hoping HOPING it isn't dropsy, it's only on his head....my poor boy...
Old 06-15-2013, 02:24 AM   #4 
Kiara1125

I would give him daily salt baths in a 1g or so bowl/container. 3 teaspoons per gallon and leave him in the bath for 20 minutes. I cured 3 bettas with dropsy this way. It's a great method. IMO, I would keep the aquarium water just clean, freshwater. No salt.

Also, popeye isn't caused by fungus, so I wouldn't use that to treat him. Can you possibly get a picture? If he's not pineconed all over with a swollen abdomen, then it's not dropsy. It might be a severe case of popeye. It'll be hard to tell without pictures.
Kiara1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:22 AM   #5 
quietlythundering

My camera is awful, and the lighting in my room stinks, but here is a description: He does have popeye, and there is pineconing occurring on his head (mostly around his eye) but most definitely NOT on his belly. He is otherwise active and looks fine besides these awful symptoms. And you're sure that the fact that this hasn't spread to his belly is a sign that he doesn't have dropsy? Can anyone else please help verify this?
Old 06-15-2013, 12:15 PM   #6 
darkangel

dropsy looks like this:

does you fish look like that?

if the head is swollen it could be fluid building up around the eyes. my betta had a really swollen left face.

jungle's fungus clear is a broad antibiotic not an anti-fungus, it treats both bacteria and fungus.
darkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:02 PM   #7 
quietlythundering

Oh jeezus no, he doesn't look like that!
And I thought as much (about the build up of fluid.) It's on the right side of his face, with pineconing on the top of his head, but not on the left side of his face. The rest of him looks fine. Unfortunately, I have to be in many different places this Father's day weekend, but I'm taking him and a hospital tank with me. In it I have:
the Epsom salt, my travel sized prime, stress coat +, food, a heater, thermometer, his food ring, and his resting leaf.
I'm pretty sure I have everything I need, and I'll take a look at that Jungle fungus clear; I'd like to hear more feedback from different people though, before I buy a bottle of it. I'm hoping a mod will show up.
Old 06-15-2013, 02:35 PM   #8 
Kiara1125

I've never heard of bettas getting that before. I mean, my female CT ended up getting a swollen gill/gill plate and she was getting flaky with her scales. I treated her with an Epsom salt bath once and she healed in 3 days.
Kiara1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:09 AM   #9 
quietlythundering

Dropsy? Oh man, I've never experienced it, but it's just awful; it's pretty much a death sentence (for the most part; there are reports of people curing it.)
Ray Charles is doing fine right now; I've set him up in the hospital tank at my mother's house (who I'm visiting), and while the ride here was bumpy he was none for the worse. He's still active and is eating, so it looks as though the Epsom salt is relieving his pain. I'm taking this as a sign that the healing has begun, though it's hard for me to tell if there is any visible difference yet.
Old 06-16-2013, 12:14 AM   #10 
tngirl92

You are doing the right things with epsom salts and stress coat, but I would also personally treat with an antibiotic for a bacterial infection. He has something internal going on, and while the salts will treat for the outer symptom of popeye and swelling, it will not do anything against the underlying bacterial infection. A lot of people lose fish this way because they think that once the epsom salts cure the popeye, the fish is completely cured. He has something going on inside of him that's making that eye swell.

http://nippyfish.net/sick-betta/popeye/
tngirl92 is offline   Reply With Quote