Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-16-2013, 12:30 AM   #11 
quietlythundering

Oh thank you! I actually asked for your help on another thread. Thank you for coming to mine though. I really, most truly appreciate your help. And it says Maracyn and Marycyn Two combined will do the trick? Can they be correctly applied in a two gallon (that's the size of the hospital tank)?
quietlythundering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:30 AM   #12 
LittleBlueFishlets

So the fluid retention appears to be in the head and eye area - but not around the abdomen? Is that correct? Look at him from overhead. Is there any sign of bloating or pineconing around the abdomen or midsection?

Your dosage of 1 teaspoon Epsom salt per gallon was a good call.

If there is pineconing in the head (but not abdominal) region, I would treat this as an external infection and use a gram negative antibiotic. Again, your call of Jungle Fungus Clear is an excellent choice. It contains two furan antibiotics which are effective against gram negative bacteria.

Edited because we were all posting at the same time.... Yes, Maracyn 2 is another good gram negative antibiotic. Maracyn is a gram positive antibiotic, which can be combined with either Maracyn 2 or Jungle Fungus Clear.

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 06-16-2013 at 12:37 AM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:56 AM   #13 
quietlythundering

So I should definitely pick up Jungle fungus clear? Or the Maracyn and Maracyn Two? Or just one? Or everything, and combine it? I'm a noob when it comes to medicine, because up until now all my fish have been healthy (except for a brush with ich Neil had in the beginning.)
As of right now, I have only introduced the Epsom salt, but I will have no trouble obtaining these medicines.
After careful observation, no, here is no pineconing near his abdominal area; it's restricted to his head, more so near the afflicted right eye then his healthy left. Also, it looks as though the magnesium sulfate is doing it's job; his eye (the right one) is looking less bulbous. This doesn't mean I'll let up on the attack though! Ray Charles will get better :)
Old 06-16-2013, 01:07 AM   #14 
LittleBlueFishlets

Option 1: Maracyn and Maracyn Two
Option 2: Maracyn and Jungle Fungus Clear

Either option is ok.

(Do not combine Maracyn Two with Jungle Fungus Clear though.)

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 06-16-2013 at 01:09 AM.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:16 AM   #15 
quietlythundering

Got it! Thank you all so much. I really, really appreciate all the help everyone has given me. Tomorrow I'll go retrieve the medication and start the antibiotic treatment.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:49 AM   #16 
tngirl92

Glad to be of help! I successfully treated my 2.5 gallon tank with the maracyn and maracyn 2 combo, but it was a little complicated because their powder packages are designed for ten gallon tanks. I basically used measuring spoons to measure out the proper divisions. It was not too hard once I got the hang of it.

Good luck!
tngirl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:58 AM   #17 
quietlythundering

I have a little measuring cup (the kind used for medicine), and it measures out in teaspoons and half teaspoons. I'm absolutely TERRIBLE measuring stuff, so I'm always nervous when it comes to this sort of thing.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:08 AM   #18 
tngirl92

Well truth is, it is not hard to eyeball it, either. A little more or a little less will not hurt betta. How has he been doing recently?
tngirl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:41 PM   #19 
quietlythundering

Much better! I've only been using the Epsom salt, because I just got a hold of the Maracyn Two, but the petstores around here stink. :( I've been to two already, and neither have Maracyn. Will he be okay if I just use Maracyn Two?
Old 06-18-2013, 05:14 PM   #20 
LittleBlueFishlets

Yes, try the Maracyn 2 alone. It will treat the majority of aquatic bacterial illnesses. So that's the better one to use anyway.

Glad he's doing better!