Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-15-2013, 01:15 AM   #1 
gorillakev

2.5 gallon planted lighting ideas

So last weekend I went to the Cbs show/auction and won me a new betta
I named him Steele here's the actual clip from the show

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q4qu6S8Gbyc

I'm keeping him in a 1 gallon jar which should be fine for him, but when I was cleaning my garage I found a 2.5 gallon tank from before.

So I definitely want to do planted with flame moss and a couple of Anubias nana petite and maybe some red root floaters( if I can find them).

I want to know what kind of lights you guys and gals are using for your 2.5 gal aquariums.

I have a desk lamp but it doesn't fit on my shelf.
gorillakev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:35 AM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Flame moss is difficult the grow, definitely needs high lighting because mine died in my 33 aquarium where everything else is absolutely flourishing so that's my only warning. Unless you know it will do well, of course always great to give it a chance because it is a beautiful moss!

But my 3 gallon has a T8 fluorescent tube, the other one has an LED light clip which grows plants pretty well once they're acclimated to the water. There's a bunch of different ones if you look on Ebay, Amazon and wherever. They're good too because usually they bend so it can fit most places, the only thing then would be you wouldn't have a hood. You can get some plexi-glass or something if your really wanted to and get it cut to the shape of your 2.5 That's a bit much I know though.

Or you can use Saranwrap which is usually just a pain in the tushy.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:12 AM   #3 
VJM

I use a desk lamp with a CFL. It works really, really well.

If that won't work, Deep Blue and Fluval have some LED clip on lights that might fit the bill.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:35 AM   #4 
Gallium

I like to use a clamp-lamp with a compact florescent. You can angle the light any which way for he best lighting, it's cheap and effective for smaller tanks, and as a bonus they are good reflectors.
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 02:46 PM   #5 
gorillakev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallium View Post
I like to use a clamp-lamp with a compact florescent. You can angle the light any which way for he best lighting, it's cheap and effective for smaller tanks, and as a bonus they are good reflectors.
Clamp lamp as in broader lamps or the ones they use for reptile tanks? I have one of those also but its too big for my application. Give me a reference to which type of clamp lamp you are using.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:17 PM   #6 
BasilBetta87

Fluval 13 watt fixture. Another option is the 12" Finnex Fuge ray. Great led lights, giving you Med light. This high power desk lamp would look pretty good and give you more than enough light for any plants.
BasilBetta87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 03:40 PM   #7 
gorillakev

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Flame moss is difficult the grow, definitely needs high lighting because mine died in my 33 aquarium where everything else is absolutely flourishing so that's my only warning. Unless you know it will do well, of course always great to give it a chance because it is a beautiful moss!

But my 3 gallon has a T8 fluorescent tube, the other one has an LED light clip which grows plants pretty well once they're acclimated to the water. There's a bunch of different ones if you look on Ebay, Amazon and wherever. They're good too because usually they bend so it can fit most places, the only thing then would be you wouldn't have a hood. You can get some plexi-glass or something if your really wanted to and get it cut to the shape of your 2.5 That's a bit much I know though.

Or you can use Saranwrap which is usually just a pain in the tushy.
Flame moss is kind difficult to grow in bigger tanks unless you have high light with co2. It might do ok in my application, since the lighting will be an inch or two away from the light. Most likely I'm going to tie or glue it to DW.

Luckily when I found my 2.5 it had its glass lid and dividers still in there. I want to go with a t8 also, but upon searching I can't find one.

My next option would be led.
Old 06-16-2013, 05:28 PM   #8 
Gallium

I use this style of clamp lamp.

I get mine from walmart, they're $5 for the smalls and $8 for the largest. I've got a friend here who grows all kinds of plants in a 75g with only three of the small ones, I swear by 'em!
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:22 AM   #9 
gorillakev

Gallium I have a couple of those. Those do work great but won't fit my application.
I'm putting it on a bookshelf and there is a 5 inch gap from top of tank to he other tier of the shelf
Old 06-17-2013, 12:26 AM   #10 
gorillakev

So I am going to a diy out of a old t12 fixture and hack it up to the length of the tank.

Then I'm going to take apart a broken desk lamp I have and take the bulb socket.

Then make a reflector out of aluminum sheeting.