Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-02-2013, 10:45 PM   #21 
snowflake311

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorillakev View Post
Flame moss is kind difficult to grow in bigger tanks unless you have high light with co2. It might do ok in my application, since the lighting will be an inch or two away from the light. Most likely I'm going to tie or glue it to DW.

Luckily when I found my 2.5 it had its glass lid and dividers still in there. I want to go with a t8 also, but upon searching I can't find one.

My next option would be led.
I have flame moss in a low tech tank with good light but it's not high light. well it might be more then most of you guys have because I did set this tank up for plants. I love this moss. I have a few other kinds of moss too.

I have had this moss for a long time and I have to trim it back A lot and retie it every 4 months. Mine goes like a weed without CO2. I use to have it with CO2 and I did not see a difference in growth. The tank is on the cooler side with good water flow. 75F is the hottest my tank gets. I do add ferts to my water to feed my plants too.

In fact I am about to cut this moss back in a few days.

Most moss likes cooler temps and good water movement making it not the best for a betta tank. I do have flame moss in a zip lock bag with water sitting in a window and its growing well in the bag you just need to flip the bag every day or so. I also have snails in the bag to give off ammonia and that helps feed the plant.
snowflake311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:46 PM   #22 
gorillakev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluka View Post
i think i would just skip the rock all together and do a nice carpet up front =D, It'll look so beautiful with hc or mircoswords! and with 9 watts for a 2.5 gallon you have enough light for it =)

That's what I was thinking it was either all rock,or rock and manzinita, or just manzanita only. I'm going to scape with all rock just to see if I like it.

I was also thinking dhg as the foreground hc is a possibility though. Blyxa japonica maybe regular sag as the background. Then tie bits and pieces of flame moss on some of the tips of driftwood.

I have microswords in my other tank and it might not go well in this small tank.

It's going to take me a while to set this tank up with other tanks I'm dealing with right now. I might as well plan ahead till everything is all figured out. This will be my 6th tank online when I eventually get around to it.

Thanks for the input
gorillakev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:55 PM   #23 
gorillakev

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowflake311 View Post
I do have flame moss in a zip lock bag with water sitting in a window and its growing well in the bag you just need to flip the bag every day or so. I also have snails in the bag to give off ammonia and that helps feed the plant.
I actually do this too but with Taiwan moss and java moss, I moisten the moss every week and open up the bag every couple of days to do an air exchange. I'm not sure if its growing but I certainly know its not dieing or close to it. Bright green no Brown spots either.

That's actually a great tip to people that have excess moss and don't know what to do with it.
gorillakev is offline   Reply With Quote