Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-27-2013, 10:29 PM   #1 
Micho

Reboot!

Since I haven't posted in my last journal in over six months or so I can't necro that one because of rules.

So I'll just make a new thread. :)

Today was exhausting, it took me three hours to get everything done, I did a standard water change in all my tanks except my 2g Fluval Spec, that one I broke down and started from scratch making a NPT.

Here's what went down tank by tank:

10g, did I standard 50% WC like I do every week, I still have no clue how to trim cabomba, so if anyone has any inkling as to how to, please let me know! It's grown too tall and all the "leaves" are at the top of my tank bend over floating with my floating plants.

Here's the thing though, I tried puting my Dwarf Gourami in the 10g with my six guppies and it did not turn out well, he nearly killed one of my guys and three of them now have some sort of fin damage. I read on a lot of websites that a lot of people have success with putting DGs with guppies but clealry my guy is not a team player.

6g, battled with BBA! I didn't have any Flourish Excel or Hydrogen Peroxide on hand so I did it the manual way, I pulled out my Java Fern and started going at it, manually ripping off the BBA. There was some hair algae too but there was a lot of BBA, I also took off some the saplings that my Java Fern always makes.

I made sure that it was free of BBA but I'm sure it'll come back since it's pretty persistent, if it does I'll go for the big guns and spot treat with Excel. Also, sadly this tank will not become a RCS tank that I dreamt of, since my DG is not compatible with the guppies he will reside there.

I'm still looking to plant it though, probably will get some crypts and some easy low light plants to fill the tank up.

2.5g, standard WC. Nothing big. Still haven't done anything about the hard water stains though, I'll probably do it next week. Curious question though, my Betta is not that active and he never was? He was an adult when I got him and he's been with me for a year now, all he does is just lay around with the Crypts and eat when it's time for his food.

Is he alright or does he have some disease? I see nothing wrong with him though, he's always been like that for all I know. He's also a fin bitter. :l

2g, broke down the tank and re-did it, used .5" of organic potting soil mix with 1.5" of playsand. I might try this as my RCS tank again, I'll fill it up with some tall plants like Crypts or something along those lines. We'll see.

This coming Monday I'll be heading to Aquarium Central, one of the members here suggest going there, and I've read some reviews online and apparently they have really clean nice tanks and their prices are relatively low, I'm quite excited!

Until next time! :)
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:15 PM   #2 
Micho

/rolls around this thread

So, if you guys didn't know my 10g had an accident, I forgot to add dechlorinator, result was 6 dead guppies.

z_____z With that happening it left my 10g empty, so today I went shopping for a lot of things.

I got Ember Tetras and put my Dwarf Gourami in the 10g. The 6g turned into a full RCS tank with lots of Java Moss, and Water Wisteria. Got another Betta for the 2g!

Other than that it's been a tiring day, I'll post picture after a week or so, going to let the tanks run a bit before seeing where it's headed. Have to do WC tomorrow too.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:37 PM   #3 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Aww sorry 'bout the guppies.

And let me know if your rcs start breeding.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:24 PM   #4 
Micho

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
Aww sorry 'bout the guppies.

And let me know if your rcs start breeding.
The guppies were my careless mistake. ):

Well I'm not that great in netting in fish and putting them into their new tanks, like not good at all. I'm pretty sure a few RCS will die over the couple of days because I literally dropped a lot of them while picking the moss they gave me apart.

I asked for ten but I got like, twenty. . . Good deal!

And they should be reproducing tbh, I saw some big females with egg pouches, lets hope they didn't lose their eggs due to the stress of a new tank.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:30 PM   #5 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Hopefully they'll be fine. Where'd you get them?
Old 08-02-2013, 09:16 PM   #6 
Micho

Quote:
Hopefully they'll be fine. Where'd you get them?
From Aquarium Central just like you suggested.

Got all my things there today. To be honest the reason why I got so many was because there were a lot of young shrimp and they're too tiny to see.

They're barely 1 cm.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:46 AM   #7 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Oh good. How did you like aquarium central? I might have to get some... I love shrimp.

Did you only get the tetras and the shrimp?
Old 08-03-2013, 12:49 AM   #8 
Micho

Quote:
Oh good. How did you like aquarium central? I might have to get some... I love shrimp.

Did you only get the tetras and the shrimp?
No I got some live plants too, along with a nice yellow-ish SD for the 2g.

He has unique coloring which is why I chose him, got some blue and his fins are transparent and all that whacky stuff. I was going to get a pearl white boy but decided to get super delta instead.

He's actually adjusted to his tank pretty nicely, already eating like a champ! Just hope he doesn't bite his fins like my other Betta. <_______< Always chomping on the fins.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:50 AM   #9 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

That is why you buy HMPKs. Lol.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:57 AM   #10 
Micho

Quote:
That is why you buy HMPKs. Lol.
The white pearl was a HMPK! They have a lot of beautiful HMPKs there, I had a HMPK before, but sadly it died when someone forgot to put the lid back on and it jumped out and died.

He was a fiesty boy!

I also noticed that they had wild Bettas there, you know the ones that can live together. Generally the store is quite nice, but it's a bit far from my house.