Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-18-2014, 01:07 PM   #1 
Zuzu

A Nose By Any Other Name

I've been meaning to start this journal for three weeks, shortly after my daughters picked out our first (and only so far) betta, Nosey.

Let me start with some background: I started before that by researching, then got a tank set up and added a terra cotta pot. I sought out reassurance when I was worried about how he was adjusting, and realized he is a tail biter. >< I fought with a cheap-o gravel vac, hemmed and hawed over switching from gravel to sand, and recently learned that he's a full dragon!

So that brings us up to date, I think. I finally ordered the biOrb vac, and it should be here on Friday. I also made the substrate switch this weekend, which wasn't easy but wasn't the pain I thought it would be. I need to get some fishing line because Nosey's craft mesh tube flopped open when I took it out to change the substrate. The DMC cotton floss I used to sew it up had dissolved! I took the leaf hammock out because he wasn't using it anyway. I'll pilfer the suction cup for the reworked tube. :P

There are more big changes coming up. I've ordered some cholla from RussellTheShihTzu and some plants (and MTS ^.^) from Kaffrin. My daughters, Bug and Pearl (nicknames, obviously), are excited! Nosey, on the other hand, doesn't seem like he could care less. XD
Zuzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:19 PM   #2 
niQ

Cute nicknames :)
Any pics of ur setup & nosey? (Cute name too!)
niQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 10:37 AM   #3 
Zuzu

I have a terrible camera, and of course he doesn't want to sit still when we try to snap pics. There are a few in this thread (with a link to more). I will be taking before & after pics when the cholla and plants come in. :D
Old 08-20-2014, 02:24 PM   #4 
Zuzu

I wish our Petsense carried more fish stuff. When we bought Nosey, I spent probably 20 minutes talking to two different Petco employees trying to figure out whether or not they had the API Freshwater Master Test Kit. Neither of them had heard of it. I was just convinced that I had physically seen one on the shelf there, but it turns out I was mixing up stores – Petsense had it.

A week or so ago, I picked up an Aqueon 9” gravel vac at Petsense for $6.99 (It’s either $9.99 or $12.99 at Petco!), but I decided it was just too big to be practical for my 10-gallon tank. I took it back yesterday and was able to exchange it for a 4-oz. bottle of Stress Coat and a 16-oz carton of AQ salt, and they still owed me a penny! Geez, the prices there are sooo much better.

Other than a few cats up for adoption, the only live animals they have are bettas. I’ve learned not to look at their bettas, though. They usually only have 5-10, but they keep them in smaller cups than Petco or Walmart. :(

Our Petco, on the other hand, has SO many bettas. Dozens and dozens. I’ll count next time I go in, but if I had to guess, I’d say 50-60 at any given time. And, of course, they all look miserable. I swear I teared up a little when I went in there last night because there’s this poor king who I noticed last time I was in there. If they’re going to sell kings, can’t they at least get bigger cups!? And they carry babies. UGH! There were 4 of them last night, all only about 3/4 of an inch long, with such stress stripes. :(

ENOUGH RANTING. Okay, cholla AND plant order should be waiting for me when I get home from work today. I’ve made a (ridiculously detailed) to-do list because I have ADD and this is going to take several days, so there’s a greater chance I’ll skip or forget something. I want things to go as smoothly as possible so I don’t disturb Nosey any more than I have to.

I’m not going to post my step-by-step list here, but I will *try* to post pictures. If Bug and Pearl can manage to share photography duties, it will be a great way for them be involved with some of the stuff they’re still too little to do.

ETA: I realized after posting that I used "because" three times in the span of 22 words, and I cannot let that stand. ><

Last edited by Zuzu; 08-20-2014 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Grammar Attack
Old 08-21-2014, 10:19 AM   #5 
Zuzu

No cholla yesterday, but plants and snails!

Pearly Girl with “Bigsy”:

Bug with “Bigsy” (not sure why they didn’t pick different snails for their photos):

I’ve been instructed to print these out so the girls can show them to their classes at school. :)

Plants are floating in a bucket of treated water. I’m hoping that the cholla arrives today and I don’t need to seal up any holes, so I can get that and the plants in the tank! Hubby’s brother is coming to stay with us Friday night, and I don’t want to be in full-on fish mode. :P
Old 08-21-2014, 05:18 PM   #6 
DaytonBetta

Welcome to the journals! how old are your girls? My son, E is 6 and he has a 29gallon that I help out with.
DaytonBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 11:45 PM   #7 
Zuzu

And a week later, I finally get around to responding. Sorry, DaytonBetta! Bug is 10, and Pearl is 7. :)

I got a few more plants today, and Pandanke included an adorable little mystery snail. The girls and I are fascinated! It's been hanging upside down gorging itself on duckweed in its little QT container. XD

The QT container? It's a plastic container that originally held individually-wrapped Twizzlers! I've been running around like crazy tonight, so I haven't had a chance to see how much it actually holds, but I'm estimating around 1/2~3/4 gallon. And it's time for me to change out that water - a lot of miscellaneous stem pieces and whatnot ended up in there.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:57 AM   #8 
Zuzu

Right, so... bladder snails hitchhiked in on the plants with the pea-sized mystery snail (now named Gary). This one's about 1/8" long, and this picture confirms once again that my camera is totally craptacular.

And, of course, the girls wanted to hold Gary:

I just realized Bug is wearing the same shirt in this pic as she was in the one above where she's holding the MTS:

Look, tentacles - no, really:

Ah well, you can read more about my overnight transformation into a snailkeeper right hmyeah.

Last edited by Zuzu; 08-28-2014 at 01:59 AM. Reason: Bug really likes that pink shirt
Old 08-28-2014, 02:32 PM   #9 
Pandanke

Oh yeah. Gary is a little offspring of my mama snail (she was ivory, father was brown stripes) - I LOVE their little tentacles. They're so flipping cute.
Pandanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:01 AM   #10 
Zuzu

Tested water last night. Parameters were fine (ammonia 0~.25, nitrite 0, nitrate 10~20), but did a 30% water change anyway to clean up some of the plant goobers and whatnot. I shifted the cholla "centerpiece" over to the right and used the turkey baster to blow out some of the sand underneath it so Nosey has room to swim through the branches.

This is a before shot (don't have an after):

I spent a solid half hour just sitting and watching Nosey when I was done. He was cruising around all over and sampling some of the tiny plant goobers that got stirred up in the WC.

I swear he's part dog sometimes. He'll be swimming then stop abruptly when he spots something he wants to investigate, and his fins go up like a dog's ears and tail. Then he'll nip at it - "it" usually being a piece of sand or *rolls eyes* a ball of osmocote that's been partially unearthed.

Gary T. Snail is still closed up, but he's not floating anymore. I'm convinced he's still alive because he is in a different spot this morning than he was last night, and there's no aeration in his KK. And the KK doesn't stink. :P