Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-24-2013, 09:51 AM   #11 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Ooo I think he's a Delta!!!!

Also, is his anal fin split in the middle?? He's going to be one gorgeous fish!!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:35 PM   #12 
kvw1988

Thank you!! Yeah his anal fin has a split in it but it's always been like that so I think it's just a deformity, his mouth is a little crooked too. That'd be cool if he was a delta, I kinda wondered because I read somewhere that deltas are prone to deformities. Whatever he his he has a great personality, when I was done taking his pictures last night I noticed all the algae and cleaned it off and he was right there "helping". :)
kvw1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:00 AM   #13 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Nope, it's not Delta's that are prone, it's Double Tails. You were probably mixed up with the abbreviations, DT is Double Tail and DeT is Delta. yeah it can be confusing, took me a while to figure it out too haha

The thing about the babies is that most of them are culls from a spawn from a breeder, so the first that naturally have genetic deformities and the ones that were stunted growth or they didn't think they were going to be good fish. But they make great pets! Fish with deformities usually can live a great life, that's why when breeders cull they don't just...well for lack of better term, kill them, they look for people who will give them good homes as pets. But PetCo saw this as well as other stores I'm sure and said "Hey! Let's make some money! Here, we'll take the babies and sell them for you and we both make money, sound a good deal?" and so that's where we get our babies from! Not all are deformed though and I'm sure your little one is going to grow up nice and big, especially with good care!

Anywho, that's my lecture on "Where Do Babies Come From?" lol and that's super adorable he was 'helping' you clean off the algae ^_^
Old 06-25-2013, 10:02 AM   #14 
kvw1988

Yep you're right I did get the abbreviations mixed up lol

I kinda like how his fin is split, makes him more unique, plus it's nice to know that he got a home instead of the alternative.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:04 AM   #15 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Haha, no problem! As I said, it took me a while too so no worries ^_^

Yeah it is cute in a way, I'm certainly glad he's still around. It will be so interesting to see how it is when he's grown up
Old 06-25-2013, 01:37 PM   #16 
a123andpoof

He's a cutie! Can't wait to see what he looks like when he's older!
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:50 AM   #17 
kvw1988

When I went to feed him this morning it looked like he has a spot of ich on his one pectoral. I'll be raising his water temp and doing 50% water changes and hopefully that'll be the end of that. I've been turning thier heaters off when I leave for work because my apartment is getting so hot and their tanks are getting really hot too right now, but last night when I got home I forgot to plug them back in. I'm hoping the warmer water will take care of this.

Other than that though he has been fine, I even got him to eat off my finger this morning, something he's never done before. Not too be outdone Guillermo did the same thing, silly fish.

I am starting to wonder on gender again, I let him see his "brother" yesterday and they did flare but I also noticed Ash had vertical bars, so either a juvenile male being submissive or a female ready to breed. Another thing I noticed was there is still an egg spot. I tried doing the flashlight trick last night and I think I saw ovaries. What I saw was a pink triangular "thing" behind the stomach area. I wasn't sure if that was the ovaries or just muscle tissue. It's so hard to tell on Ash because the body is also slightly misshapen where the anal fin is split.

Another interesting thing though is that after Guillermo saw Ash he built the biggest bubblenest he's ever made on the side of the tank where Ash is next door (they're not in a divided tank together they're in two separate ones next door to eachother). He'll usually make one bubblenest maybe once every two weeks but they're small, this one covers probably a quarter of his 5 gallon.

Last edited by kvw1988; 06-26-2013 at 09:55 AM.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:56 AM   #18 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

young fish are not mature hence they cannot be "ready" to breed. Males also get vertical bars as submission stripes, telling the other boy that he doesn't want to fight. Also one girl in my sorority almost always has "breeding" stripes but they are only submission stripes

If you get me a good pic I can tell you, but since he had just a rounded tummy in his first few pictures, I very doubt that he is a girl oh and females flare too.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:59 AM   #19 
kvw1988

Day 18

Here's some pics, what always throws me is where the anal fin is split the abdomen is also not quite right.

Oh and what I thought was ich is gone, I'm not sure what it was, maybe just an air bubble...
Attached Images

Old 06-26-2013, 11:01 AM   #20 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Aww he's colored up so much! Hard to tell if he's got ovaries since he's completely opaque now but still looks like a boy to me, I'd have to see him with the light behind him shining through to see if you can see the outlines of the ovaries.