Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-15-2013, 10:13 AM   #1 
MorganC2010

Cool Tails of a Pet Store Worker

While I was venting on another thread it was suggested to me that I start a journal here. What was I venting about you ask? The generalization that pet store workers dont know or care about bettas and the other fish in their stores. Now I know a lot of you have had a personal experience with a worker that was bad and led you to this conclusion...so have I. I just want people to remember, not all employees are like that.

I work at a large pet store company that is nation wide, that I will do my best not to name. I want to share with you what I do through on a daily basis to maybe give you some insight as to what all the workers go though as well as how a worker who cares try to help new and experienced fish owners.

I hope you find this informative and enjoyable! Please leave feedback for me as well! I will try and post the first really entry later today.
MorganC2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:31 AM   #2 
jadaBlu

I am looking forward to keeping up with it!
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:06 PM   #3 
MorganC2010

Woo! What a busy day! Now where do I begin...

As soon as I clocked in I was busy with children running rampent through the store as the parent thought it approate to allow them free range while she gossiped. I had to go behind them straghting shelves and making sure everything was in order. Then I had to help several customers find products and anwser questions.

Finally after an HOUR into my shift I am finally able to go check on and care the for the fish. So as you can see sometimes workers cant spend every moment with the fish and things will happen while they arn't under constant supervision.

When I returned, sadly there were a few dead fish. Angel fish actualy. they seem to be the weakest fish that we have and sadly die somewhat often. Even though all of our levels are fine as we check them daily.

After scooping out the newly deciesed fish I checked on the bettas. Since they are fed DAILY at my store some had some uneatten food in their cups so they and any other bettas with the slightest of dirty cups got a water change. I felt bad changing the water of the guys who had BUBBLE NESTS, which is a frequent thing at my store actually. But I gave them some clean water knowing that they can just rebuild their impressive nests.

Unfortuanly we have 2 sick bettas at the moment. (out of 20+) they both are having tail problems. My manager actualy had me adopt one today, he has been having problems the longest. So yeah I brought home a new betta today lol. I still have yet to name him but I do have him set up in my own sick tank now.

Later into my shift I helped a couple and thei adorable and very sleepy child pick out tropical fish for their 29gal tropical tank. They were in before getting fish for a 10gal tank which they decided to upgrade. Now they house their betta in the 10 gal tank by his self instead of the divided betta bowl they had gotten else where due to my swave skills of telling them how it was a very bad idea to keep two bettas in 1/2 gallon of water. (i am angry that those things even exist).

So as we reach the end of my shift today I was helping a wonderful little boy look for some fish for a tank that he and his grandfather had set up. While Im helping him I hear what I've grown to strongly dislike. What I call "People playing the 'lets find the dead fish game'" They go right up to the tanks bobbing their heads around almost hoping they will find some dead fish. And of course, to my luck they found one. While I was busy helping customers find some fish and learning how to care for such fish a guppy decided to die. Of course. So I hear hushed whispers, awws, and ewws, as the guppy lays on the bottem. Before I can as the people if they need help they leave with their judging looks and hushed tones. They dont know how well I've been taking care of the fish all day, they dont know that I've been busy helping others, all they are taking away is that they saw a dead fish and this bothers me deeply. After investiating I saw how I had missed it earlier, it was hidden behind their large rock and plants and it had finaly floated around to where it could be seen. As they left and others had disbursed from the tanks I scooped out the poor guy and for the what seemed like the 100th time of the day did a check for more dead fish. Luckily I found none but im sure more people will come in to play lets find the dead fish and find more later.

Well I'm sure i've wrote too much for today but thats my shift for today. I'll be off to try and name and take care of my new guy. Wish me luck!
Old 06-15-2013, 08:18 PM   #4 
Saphira101

Wow. When I walk into my local Petco, I often see dead fish and criticize it with my little bro in a hushed tone. But I after read your journal and found out how it must feel for them to hear that, I won't do it anymore. Thank you for making me aware.
Saphira101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:28 PM   #5 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Sounds like you had a busy day!

I will respectfully make it known there is a dead fish and people who point them out have a valid reason to, the good of the other (live) fish in the tank is at stake. That's no reason to put down the employees or whisper about it for no reason though XD.

Last edited by MattsBettas; 06-15-2013 at 08:31 PM.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:31 PM   #6 
MorganC2010

i am so glad i was able to change your view. That is what im striving for. Now some stores that sell fish such as walmart, shudders, many (not ALL) have terrible tanks and the dead fish often out number the living. At those places its obvious no one cares and I feel it is nessicary to point out to the employees the dreadful care.

Thank you for commenting! I am very glad my message is getting through.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:33 PM   #7 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Pfft, at most of the PET stores in my city its obvious no one cares.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:38 PM   #8 
MorganC2010

@Mattsbettas - that's so sad :( I know all of the people in my dept that I work with love fish and have fish of their own. I wish everyone who ever got hired anywhere to take care of fish had a passion for them.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:44 PM   #9 
MorganC2010

I do want to point out that I hate the 'feeder fish' tanks. When they are full we will have fish die several at a time. Its part they arnt hardy fish and part our system is so new it hasnt cycled properly yet. When people see those dead fish in such numbers they tell me such things as "Well that just screams dont buy fish here" Well for their information our feeder tanks are a whole different system from out other fish, their water never even touches. But people either dont want to hear me explaining to them why we have dead fish or that the feeder's water isnt connected with the rest of the fish. Ugg. I just really hate it when people see dead fish in my tanks at work and assume that I am someone who doesnt care about fish. It makes me want to just go home and hug Tiberius. But I dont think he'd like that. not just because he is a fish but he has a serious bad boy persona and Id be embarrassing him.

Last edited by MorganC2010; 06-15-2013 at 08:51 PM.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:49 PM   #10 
Saphira101

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganC2010 View Post
i am so glad i was able to change your view. That is what im striving for. Now some stores that sell fish such as walmart, shudders, many (not ALL) have terrible tanks and the dead fish often out number the living. At those places its obvious no one cares and I feel it is nessicary to point out to the employees the dreadful care.

Thank you for commenting! I am very glad my message is getting through.
Yes.

And my Petco is really understaffed anyway, so it's very understandable.

I also think sometimes at pet stores where the animals don't get great care, the employees are just not informed on proper pet care. Like at my petco, it's really obvious that the employees love the animals, they just aren't informed on the proper care. It's not like they don't bother to learn, but with tons of species, it's pretty hard to be an expert on all of them.

I hope my post makes sense, I am a bit tired right now.
Saphira101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pet store, worker