Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-16-2013, 11:01 AM   #21 
MorganC2010

Thank you! I should have another journal entry Wednesday night or so
MorganC2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:24 PM   #22 
Saphira101

Good luck with your fishy! Have you tried putting a bit of API Stress Coat in his water?
Saphira101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:37 PM   #23 
MorganC2010

No, I'm currently out. :/ I did of course put water conditioner in his water though. Can I use stress coat and water conditioner at the same time in a one gal? I'm worried about it making the water too slimy.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:44 PM   #24 
BettaFran

Being an obsessively care oriented person and having worked for a brief time in a tiny fish shop, I'm so glad you took the brave risk of pointing out the "other side of the story", Morgan! Even in small shops, the daily chores, always "interrupted" by customers, makes even routine things difficult. Even more so dealing with sick fish. One thing you didn't mention along these lines is that a lot of the fish deaths and illnesses are down to the way they were transported...esp if from long distances away or traveling in extremes of temperatures and sitting on the tarmac or shipping trucks! Then there's also the almost physical impossibility of having quarantine tanks, no matter how much you'd like to. Finally, I'd also like to mention on your behalf, and for others' consideration, that large box stores have no monopoly on bad fish husbandry advice! Nor do all mom and pop shops always provide good advice! Actually, I have received equally good advice from either; what it mainly comes down to is researching on our own first, before we even buy any dry goods, much less actual fish....then talking to several staff. That way you can get a really good feel for who seems to be most knowledgeable and try and stick with that person. You also might have something new and valuable for them to learn, which I've found almost every one of them was at least willing to hear, if not actually put into practice. The only way we can improve fish husbandry on a large scale is to stop making broad, preconceived generalizations, and work together and share knowledge. May we be blessed in doing so!
BettaFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:52 PM   #25 
Saphira101

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganC2010 View Post
No, I'm currently out. :/ I did of course put water conditioner in his water though. Can I use stress coat and water conditioner at the same time in a one gal? I'm worried about it making the water too slimy.
I use both SeaChem Prime and API Stress Coat+ in my 2 gallons. I'd normally just use Stress Coat, but my tap has ammonia in it and Prime's the only thing that'll take it out. :/

Also, Stress Coat can just be used on its own, unless like me you need to use Prime as well. Stress Coat removes chlorine, chloramines, and heavy metals all on its own, in addition to having that wonderful aloe vera. :)
Old 06-16-2013, 02:30 PM   #26 
MorganC2010

Thank you BettaFran! Yes, I didnt cover the shippment issues. I was probably going to talk about it in fridays upcoming post because our shippments come in on thursday morning. But since you brought it up, I'd like to mention it now.

The store I work at is in Ohio where I also live. Our fish supplier is in Washington DC and that's where our shippments come from. With the exception of the feeder fish and usualy guppies, all of the fish survive the trip but the damage has already been done. By the time they reach us their water is filthy, not to mention full of chemicals designed to make the fish calm and sleepy during the trip. when we receive them we open the bags and have large nets over 5 gallon buckets that we dump the fish into so the nasty water doesnt go into our main system. Unfortanly due to the amount of fish we get in all at once we are unable to acclimate them properly which causes more to die. So with all of that trama leads to more dying throughout the week as well.

So I am glad you reminded me of mentioning that process. Also you mentioned getting good and bad advice at both chain stores and small local stores. That reminds me of a friend of mine who swore to me that you can keep 2 bettas in a half gallon tank with a seperater. She also said that all bettas need to eat are freeze dried blood worms. Where did she get this information? Thats right, a localy owned fish store. I mean all this place had was fish and they didnt know how to properly take care of bettas. *facepalm*

Saphria - Ok, all I would need is the stress coat then. I've actually been meaning to switch to it once my water conditioner ran out because the API Stress coat is all we use at work. Especially when bagging fish to go to their new homes. Thanks for your advice. I still need to name him as well. My coworkers said I need to name him mackerelmore because we where just talking about the rapper mackelmore. Now I cant get that name out of my head so it may end up being his name lol.
Old 06-16-2013, 02:39 PM   #27 
jadaBlu

I think the fish needs a name. Comet or Cosmo comes mind when I see him. However, name can be very personal but those are my suggestions.

Last edited by jadaBlu; 06-16-2013 at 02:42 PM.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:43 PM   #28 
MorganC2010

As of right now it's Mackerelmore,the post above yours explains it a bit. But Im kinda hoping something better comes to me. Sometimes a name just gets stuck to a fish for me and Mackerelmore did that. While he was still at my store a while back I had woken up in the middle of the night with an awesome name for him but by time I had woken up again I forgot it. :/ Do you have any suggestions?
Old 06-16-2013, 03:01 PM   #29 
MorganC2010

I like Comet! But still Mackerelmore is sticking with me. Sometimes a fish just says yeah thats my name and thats whats going on with the name Mackerelmore, even though it's not my favorite. Do I make sense?
Old 06-16-2013, 11:55 PM   #30 
Saphira101

Yes. I think Macklemore is a great name!

Tags
pet store, worker