Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-15-2013, 12:04 PM   #1 
FayeV

Heater for 2 gallons aquarium

I'm looking for heater recommendations for a 2 gallon aquarium.

My daughter's VT passed away after 3 years (we were impressed with his life span!). We cleaned the aquarium and everything else (decorations, heater, etc) and set all that aside (unused) for a few months.

Yesterday my daughter chose a new Betta, a beautiful twin tail half moon. We set up the aquarium and everything seemed fine. Water temp was 80. We added 2 pellets in case he was hungry, but he wasn't interested. Not really surprised, he was still adjusting to his new home and I knew this could take up to a week.

This morning we were all horrified to discover him lifeless, resting on one of the plants. My daughter cried. :( I felt the side of the aquarium and it was hot to the touch. Right away I knew it as a heater malfunction, because I've never felt it so hot before. :(

The heater we had was a 25w Marineland Stealth that has worked perfectly up until now. I wonder if the several month "hibernation" period broke it. Anyhow I am a bit reluctant to replace it was the same immersible heater. Am wondering what my other options are.

Yes, I know a 5 gallons or larger aquarium would be ideal, but this 2 gallon is what I have to work with right now.
FayeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:17 PM   #2 
eden000

I just got a Hydor Theo 25W for my Evolve 2 gal, and so far it's working great! It's adjustable, which I think will be very helpful when the seasons change and it gets colder vs. warmer. Also I'd invest in a good quality thermometer, otherwise you'll have no way of knowing if the heater is working how it should.

I'm also really sorry about your half moon :(

Last edited by eden000; 06-15-2013 at 12:22 PM.
eden000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:18 PM   #3 
finnfinnfriend

A 2 gallon will be great for a betta, provided the needed water changes are done :)

The Hydor Theo 25w should work in a two gallon. It is very compact.
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:36 PM   #4 
FayeV

Thanks so much for the Hydor Theo rec and for mentioning it is adjustable which is what I prefer ... since we have hot summers and cold winters and it would be a pain to monitor with a nonadjustable heater.

Now we just need to rescue another betta. My daughter says she wants another half moon.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:43 PM   #5 
eden000

It's also quite compact, which is good for a smaller tank. I ordered mine online, so I was a bit worried how big it would be, but it fits perfectly. You can also keep it either vertically or horizontally... just thought I'd mention it as another advantage. And there's an indicator lamp inside so you can tell when it's on or off. It shuts off at the desired temperature, and then maintains it. I live in Canada, and right now the weather is fluctuating a ton (even from morning to evening), and mine keeps the tank at a consistent 79-80*.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:40 PM   #6 
FayeV

Oooh I like how it has an indicator light to let you know when the heater is on. My Stealth didn't have anything like that, it was completely encased in black, no on/off lights, and there was a "fuzzy" temp setting dial, where each temp setting had a relatively wide section that you really weren't sure what temp you were setting it at. I kept mine pointed at the center of the "75" section. I had mine attached diagonally to the back wall of the aquarium, from top left to bottom right.

I was wondering whether these aquarium heaters only work for a certain number of years. I used the Stealth for 2 years and then 3 years with the betta after that. So i've had it around 5 years. I wonder if these heaters just need to be replaced every 5 years.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:50 PM   #7 
eden000

Quote:
Originally Posted by FayeV View Post
Oooh I like how it has an indicator light to let you know when the heater is on. My Stealth didn't have anything like that, it was completely encased in black, no on/off lights, and there was a "fuzzy" temp setting dial, where each temp setting had a relatively wide section that you really weren't sure what temp you were setting it at. I kept mine pointed at the center of the "75" section. I had mine attached diagonally to the back wall of the aquarium, from top left to bottom right.

I was wondering whether these aquarium heaters only work for a certain number of years. I used the Stealth for 2 years and then 3 years with the betta after that. So i've had it around 5 years. I wonder if these heaters just need to be replaced every 5 years.

My hydor came with a lifetime guarantee
Old 06-16-2013, 12:46 AM   #8 
lissienen

It doesn't have an adjustor, but when I had smaller tanks I loved the Marina 10W submersible. It has an indicator light and is good for up to 2.65 gallons. It always worked really well for me, even when I had a few of them out of commission for about six months and pulled them out to use in smaller tanks while I let my tiny females grow up before I let them join in with the sorority.
lissienen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:52 PM   #9 
FayeV

I stopped by the local PetCo to look for supplies, they don't carry that brand of heater. They only had their own PetCo brand and some other brand which I can't remember the name. I think I will need to look online. It's summer here and the glass thermometer reports water temp in safe range so I have time to order online.

Of course I had to look at the Bettas while at PetCo. They seems to have a larger variety than my local PetSmart (where I got Diva), and they seemed to look better or maybe it was because they were in clear water instead of that weird blue colored water. I even saw a type I had never seen before, it was an Elephant Ear, looked really pretty! Maybe next time ...

I picked up a Betta Hammock and set it up in one corner of the tank. He has swam near it but haven't tried it out yet. Maybe I need to move it to the back wall of the aquarium where it is a little darker?

And I replaced a plastic plant with a Java Fern, not tied down to anything, just floating around ... well, it rests an inch above the gravel. I think this will be better on his fins.

Also picked up a jar of the New Life Spectrum Betta pellets that many people on this forum recommend. I had Hikari pellets before. He still shows little interest in food.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:06 PM   #10 
eden000

Yeah, I know I had to get my Hydor online. I mostly attributed that to the selection in Canada being sub-par, but I guess I'm not the only one with this problem!

My second-ever (and current) betta, Romeo, is an elephant ear! He has an absolutely adorable personality. Always swims to the front when I talk to him, and plays this game with his food where he only gets it when he chases it as it falls. I'm somewhat in love

I've heard good things about Betta Hammocks, though I'd watch out after a few months because I've read on this forum that they can rust after a while and cause issues. I'm jealous of your Java Fern! I've noticed that my fish avoids swimming through his plastic plant.. hoping that the edges aren't too rough for him.