Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-17-2009, 09:31 PM   #1 
dramaqueen
Banned

swimbladder disorder

I just noticed that one of my bettas has swimbladder disorder. He's floating onn his side at the top of the water.I gave him a piece of feeeze dried bloodworm yesterday. I didn't rehydrate like I should have. :( Could this have caused the problem? I plan to get some daphnia if I can get to the petstore in the next day or two.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 09:43 PM   #2 
Sucidemonkey

honestly the thing is most likely going to die by tommorow morning. Ziplock it. Set it in the freezer and Pray for it to die quickly. No one likes to euthanize a fish. But its more humane than letting it die slowly. IMO

-edit

I dont wana come off as rude/mean. I do empathize with you. Sorry for your loss.

-edit#2

How will I know when it is time?

Knowing when euthanasia should be considered depends on your pet's health as well as your own. It is often helpful to look at the quality of life your pet is experiencing. Does your pet still enjoy eating and other simple pleasures? Is your pet able to respond to you in a normal way? Is your pet experiencing more pain than pleasure?

Last edited by Sucidemonkey; 01-17-2009 at 09:46 PM.
Sucidemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 09:49 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

Having swimbladder disorder isn't usually fatal. It can be caused by any number of things. The most common is constipation. I have a rescue betta that has had it off and on the last year due to being knocked on the floor. He's alive and doing ok.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:54 PM   #4 
Sucidemonkey

here is how ive seen it countless times. they float side ways upside down or all weird like for a day maybe two. they get stressed out stop eating sink to the bottom and die.

Not my fish my moms.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:58 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm sorry to hear about your Mom's fish. I'm going to try to feed mine some daphnia and see how it goes.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:06 PM   #6 
Sucidemonkey

GL, i really hope it pulls through.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:24 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

Thank you and thanks for your concern about my fish.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:07 AM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

Well guess what? This morning he's fine and swimming like normal. Its the wierdest thing. I guess he must have been constipated and he's ok now. I'm still going to fast him today and maybe tomorrow and see how he does.I'll try some daphnia if I can get out and get some. :)
Old 01-18-2009, 09:10 AM   #9 
fishyinpa

Hi dq. My fishy was swimming funny i noticed last night,so i think he ate too much the day before. I gave him some fd food but forgot to rehydrate (just like you). He looks fine this morning though,still will fast him. I have daphnia and thats what i didnt rehydrate! So i dunno. Maybe he was just being wierd or something. Who knows. As long as he okay. Glad your fish is okay!
fishyinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:18 AM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

I've always fed mine fd food without rehydrating and never had a problem before. I guess I got lucky. I'll rehydrate from now on! lol I read somewhere to fast them for 3 days then feed daphnia. fd rehydrated or frozen will work. I'm glad your fish is better too, this morning. It was rather worrisome last night. lol