Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-16-2013, 01:43 PM   #1 
franklinthefish

Unhappy My betta seems depressed or scared when I am around him

I got my new betta fish ,Franklin, about four days ago. I had him in one tank for about three days, but just yesterday I got him a new tank because the filter was too strong. The end of the second day, Franklin was very sad-like, and now all he does in whenever I walk in I see him out in the open swimming around, but when he sees me he is as fast as lightning!!! He swims real fast to the corner of the tank, where some plants are, and he stays there until he knows Im gone and he is safe. Is that normal? Will he ever come out of the corner, and when? Please respond ASAP!!!
franklinthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:11 PM   #2 
BettaFran

He's probably just a bit stressed and getting to know his new surroundings. You can try giving him some more hidey spots or some live plants; fish actually come out more if they know they have plenty of hiding spots available if need be. Also, putting some organic plain rooibos tea bags or Indian almond leaf in there (or just get some black water extract from fish store) can help decrease stress and aid good immune system. Tea bags you can get from health food section of grocery; just make sure organic rooibos ONLY ingredient. The almond leaves you can order online, but I found a readily available new source: go to hermit crab section (of at least one box store pet shop); they have the dried leaves in little sealed bags. Nice ones too and what I use for my guy; use for hermies to boost humidity and for tannins as well, just like for our guys. As long as your guy looks fine, no clamped fins, eating and swimming normally, I wouldn't worry. Keep up on water changes, watch water params closely and your guy should gradually get used to everything and come out more. Eventually he'll race TOWARD you when he sees you in the distance ;)
Have fun!
BettaFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:39 PM   #3 
franklinthefish

Thanks so much!!!
Old 06-16-2013, 08:27 PM   #4 
weaver72

I do Know With My bettas also That it depends on where they are placed in My house,I had My first betta right in my bedroom with me and he was sad and depressed not swimming around, I put Him in the living room totally different fish,also the feel vibration so if the room is negative or stress I believe they feel it. Also I have My red veil tale with me on My night stand and I noticed a day later his color had faded and his top fin was clamped,so I moved him back out in the living room with the rest of the crew and he is fine,some of mY guys dont like being around the others because they get stressed,just My take on it
weaver72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:29 AM   #5 
franklinthefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaver72 View Post
I do Know With My bettas also That it depends on where they are placed in My house,I had My first betta right in my bedroom with me and he was sad and depressed not swimming around, I put Him in the living room totally different fish,also the feel vibration so if the room is negative or stress I believe they feel it. Also I have My red veil tale with me on My night stand and I noticed a day later his color had faded and his top fin was clamped,so I moved him back out in the living room with the rest of the crew and he is fine,some of mY guys dont like being around the others because they get stressed,just My take on it
Okay! Do you think it also has to do with how much sunlight you need? I noticed that I had been having the LED light on like every second of the day. The direct light causes stress, so maybe I should give him some real sunlight.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:04 PM   #6 
BettaFran

just so you know, no lights real or otherwise should be on 24/7. Give him a natural day/night cycle like 10-12 hrs on then off rest of the time. Get one of those cheap light timers and you won't have to worry about turning lights on or off manually. No real need for sunlight; in fact, it can cause problems with algae and overheating if you're not careful. Try out the day night thing. I think you'll see your guy more calm and definitely more rested. Afterall, a good nap helps just about all of us living creatures ;)
BettaFran is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asap, question