Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-16-2013, 03:01 PM   #1 
vickyz

Blue Betta; Please help!

Hi, My betta fish, Vida, has been lethargic lately and not eating much as he used to. Today, he ate 1 pellet and that is it. I noticed his skin has been changing as in certain spots in his scales have been getting lighter.
I was wondering what I should do to help him. I have betta fix and I have Kordon's Rid Ich Plus disease treament. Should I use one of those?
Here's a picture of him.
All advice is welcomed.

Housing

What size is your tank? 1 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 80 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? no
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? pellets (crushed)
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? 2 times a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? his body seems like there is a cloudiness to certain spots.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? he is lethargic and wont eat and he is sleeping more frequently than normal
When did you start noticing the symptoms? three days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? not yet
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? 5 months since i got him
Attached Images

vickyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:08 PM   #2 
oaklandftw1

hmmm :\ odd looking. I wish I knew the correct advice to give you. I know my older fish had something like this before and when I kept taking him to pet co, they said he was fine. But then I took him to Petsmart, they gave me that Kordon's Ich. By the time I got home, he passed away. I think it was fungus that killed him.

Last edited by oaklandftw1; 06-16-2013 at 04:12 PM.
oaklandftw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:17 PM   #3 
sainthogan

I'm not sure what it is except some possibly some sort of fungus. Please don't use the Bettafix, it can actually kill your Betta (although the company says accidental deaths are due to using it for something it's not intended for). It contains tea tree oil which can coat his labyrinth lung and cause him to suffocate.
Sakura8, one of the moderators on here would be a great person to private message to get some help with his issue.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:29 PM   #4 
vickyz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainthogan View Post
I'm not sure what it is except some possibly some sort of fungus. Please don't use the Bettafix, it can actually kill your Betta (although the company says accidental deaths are due to using it for something it's not intended for). It contains tea tree oil which can coat his labyrinth lung and cause him to suffocate.
Sakura8, one of the moderators on here would be a great person to private message to get some help with his issue.
Thanks for your input. That is disturbing to know that it could kill poor betta fish. Thanks very much!
Old 06-16-2013, 05:50 PM   #5 
Sakura8

Hi vickyz and welcome to the forum. I'm so sorry to hear about Vida. It looks like he may have either a bacterial disease called columnaris or possibly external parasites.

For a conservative treatment, I'd recommend starting with aquarium salt at 3 tsps per gallon with 100% water changes every other day for up to 14 days. If he shows no sign of improvement at all after maybe 4 days of this treatment, we could try an antibiotic called API Furan-2. You can also use Hikari HealthAid Bi-Furan or in a pinch, Jungle Labs Fungus Clear fizzy tabs. The only reason I don't recommend the Jungle Labs tabs is because they are very hard to dose in a small tank, as they are tablets formulated for 10 gallons.

If you use API Furan-2, the best way to dose this is to get a container that holds 5 cups of dechlorinated water. Add in the packet of medication and mix well. Now pour 1/2 cup of this medicated water into the tank. Change the water 100% every other day and redose the medication. Although it's best to mix up new medication for every dosage, you can save the medicated water for about two days if you need to.

I hope this helps you and Vida. Good luck!
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:55 PM   #6 
vickyz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Hi vickyz and welcome to the forum. I'm so sorry to hear about Vida. It looks like he may have either a bacterial disease called columnaris or possibly external parasites.

For a conservative treatment, I'd recommend starting with aquarium salt at 3 tsps per gallon with 100% water changes every other day for up to 14 days. If he shows no sign of improvement at all after maybe 4 days of this treatment, we could try an antibiotic called API Furan-2. You can also use Hikari HealthAid Bi-Furan or in a pinch, Jungle Labs Fungus Clear fizzy tabs. The only reason I don't recommend the Jungle Labs tabs is because they are very hard to dose in a small tank, as they are tablets formulated for 10 gallons.

If you use API Furan-2, the best way to dose this is to get a container that holds 5 cups of dechlorinated water. Add in the packet of medication and mix well. Now pour 1/2 cup of this medicated water into the tank. Change the water 100% every other day and redose the medication. Although it's best to mix up new medication for every dosage, you can save the medicated water for about two days if you need to.

I hope this helps you and Vida. Good luck!
Thank you so much for the feed back!!! I will run to the store right now and purchase aquarium salt.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:31 PM   #7 
vickyz

Also, his temperature is at 85 now. We live in California and I have my A/C on. Do I need to lower the temperature to prevent the bacteria from spreading more? If so, how do I get the temperature down?
Old 06-19-2013, 08:42 AM   #8 
BETTACHKALOVE

Hey vickyz how is your little guy doing? Yes definitely with columnaris it better to lower the temperature slowly as much as you can. Even to 74* will be fine. If you don't have a heater that keeps the temperature , the only option is- you can just keep A/C at lower temperature and his water will be approximately the same temperature as your room temperature.
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:04 AM   #9 
vickyz

Thank you Bettachkalove, he is doing GREAT!!! =D
Old 07-01-2013, 11:18 PM   #10 
BETTACHKALOVE

Great thank you for update!!!!
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote