Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-19-2013, 09:34 PM   #1 
jadaBlu

Can you suggest a sand for substrate and how to clean?

I need it to be smooth. The betta it's for does not swim well and may continue to have problems. I've already sought advice. I don't want to irritate his body or fins. If you can suggest a good brand of sand available in most pet department and how to clean and care for it let me know. The tank he is going in is acrylic.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:06 PM   #2 
RiceFish

Any sand substrate should be fine it just depends what color you like. I like the CaribSea lineup of sands like tahitian moon sand for a black shiny look. Cleaning sand can be a bit more work than gravel. I'm assuming you're using a siphon, hover it over the sand and gently swirl it so all the particles can be taken by the siphon.
RiceFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:56 PM   #3 
BettaFran

You also don't want to poke siphon all the way through at any point; just hovering, as RiceFish said. To keep it aerated you can add some of those MTS. Also be sure to rinse well beforehand so you don't get tiny floaters everywhere. When you add the sand be careful not to let it scrape tank sides; it can definitely scratch acrylic. I just set up my newest tank with sand; first FW tank without gravel...and I love it! Plants and Es seem to like it better too. Make sure you get inert sand for FW tanks; some sands are meant for reef and cichlid tanks and might raise the pH too high for Bettas. Good luck.
BettaFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:09 PM   #4 
finnfinnfriend

You can actually use play sand as a substrate. It's extremely cheap amd safe, you just have to rinse it off a lot before adding it to the aquarium.
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:24 AM   #5 
jadaBlu

Due to the nature of his injury he has to be in a very small tank. I might need to sift instead of siphon. If anyone thinks of a way to do that let me know.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:14 AM   #6 
Vickytoria3112

Maybe a turkey baster to remove waste and uneaten food might be best.
Vickytoria3112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:19 AM   #7 
RowdyBetta

Cirrus has white CaribSea in his 5 gallon and I LOVE it! It's very very smooth and easier to clean than the river rock and gravel I had in it previously, IMO. I just bought a length of airline piping from a hardware store and made my own siphon for about $2.

Last edited by RowdyBetta; 06-20-2013 at 09:24 AM.
RowdyBetta is offline   Reply With Quote