Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-16-2013, 06:12 PM   #1 
carlos puron

java moss and shrimps with my betta?

I just did the set up in this tank 5gallon fluval chi I've heard that shrimp and snails are a good adding to the ecosystem my question is should I add them if so I would do ghost shrimp how many should I add and before or after getting the betta?
Attached Images

carlos puron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:13 PM   #2 
carlos puron

I'm still missing the heater and thermometer though ill get them next week thanks for your replies
Old 06-16-2013, 07:06 PM   #3 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

Beautiful tank!

Shrimp need lots of hiding places. Depending on your Betta's personality, you might or might not need more moss-like plants. They also need a tank with stable parameters as they're very sensitive to change. I learned the hard way to wait until after the tank is well-cycled.
RussellTheShihTzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:00 AM   #4 
carlos puron

If I add a ghost shrimp would he bother the betta?
Old 06-17-2013, 09:28 AM   #5 
Laki

Ghost shrimp won't bother the betta no. But like RTST stated, the tank needs to be stable before adding shrimp. Ghosts are particularly susceptible to water params, mine died overnight when I tried them last year.
ps- I LOVE the tree look with the wood!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:22 AM   #6 
carlos puron

Thanks I just tried my best is not as I wanted because of the space but I think it's still being good looking to stay at the living room the next step is an aquascape in a fluval edge but I'm just waiting to see it on sale

Abouth the shrimp are they all that sensitive to the watee parameters ? For I've heard java moss and shrimp with a betta are like a good balance to the ecosystem in the tank plus weekly regular maintenance is it true? Can I find a shrimp that would be easier to take care of ? Or should I just keep the betta by himself?
Old 06-17-2013, 10:29 AM   #7 
Laki

Betta by himself is fine. I haven't had much luck keeping shrimp with my bettas. I keep RCS in their own tank, they're the happiest in there bc there's nothing to fear. Amano shrimp are large enough to keep bettas away, RCS are shy but both types are easy to find and easier to keep. Ime.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:12 PM   #8 
carlos puron

So should I try it or not ? And how could I identify if a betta is aggressive or not ?
Old 06-17-2013, 12:40 PM   #9 
BettaFran

Bettas are carnivores and the few times I had shrimp (of any sort) with my bettas I wished I hadn't. Bettas are also curious and if they don't try to eat them, bettas often poke at the shrimp. Think it's probably stressful for the shrimp ;)
Also, as others mentioned, no matter WHICH type of shrimp, they're all very sensitive to water params. And the other reason they need a well established tank is so there's a good amount of biofilms and microscopic flora for them to eat. A betta might tolerate a minuscule spike in ammonia, nitrites, or nitrates...but a shrimp won't.
If you're eventually going to get an Edge and transfer your betta there, maybe just keep your current tank up and running, add more hidey plants, and put your shrimp in there (as long as it's gone through a whole cycle and established for a month or two). Then you'd have two cool tanks and everyone would be happy.
BettaFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:48 PM   #10 
jadaBlu

I just posted about this for a bigger tank I was told 40 shrimp for a 20 long so I guess you can divide down. My post is still up.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote