Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-16-2013, 07:29 PM   #1 
xStatic

I think my betta has fin rot?

I came home today from a 3 day long trip and noticed the edges of my betta's fins are looking a little ragged. I got him from Walmart about a week ago and he seems otherwise healthy. He is a red fish and the edge of his fins look to be clear/translucent with a thin edge of black. He is also pretty young and his fins are still growing so when I first got him I suspected the clear edge was due to new tissue growth... hoever the ragged edges have caused me to change my mind and I now am thinking fin rot...

I do not have any aquarium salt at this time but I could probably run and get some. Should I plan on doing 100% water changes from now on?

I'll try to get a photo up and fill out the questionaire within the next couple minutes.

Thanks!
xStatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:45 PM   #2 
xStatic

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? about 76-78 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 2 ghost shrimp

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One betta buffet pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? once a day, 3 pellets

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 1-2 a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50-100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Tetra BettaSafe water conditioner (will buy Prime soon)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Yes

Ammonia: 0.25 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 5.0 ppm
pH: 7.8-8
Hardness: ????
Alkalinity: ?????

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? ragged edges on fins
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? swimming consistently, no behavior change otherwise
When did you start noticing the symptoms? today
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no, plan on picking up AQ salt tonight
Does your fish have any history of being ill? new fish
How old is your fish (approximately)? young, < 1 year
Old 06-16-2013, 07:46 PM   #3 
Happyhobbit

Location: You know, that is a very, very good question... and you know, I have an answer for you... somewhere.
Yup, I would do daily water changes, and API stress coat is really good for rebuilding tissue in their fins. Also, remember to keep the temp up to 80ish degrees. Sorry, I'm not espicially helpful with giving advice. I'm sure someone more experienced will have more helpful things to say.
Happyhobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:51 PM   #4 
xStatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyhobbit View Post
Yup, I would do daily water changes, and API stress coat is really good for rebuilding tissue in their fins. Also, remember to keep the temp up to 80ish degrees. Sorry, I'm not espicially helpful with giving advice. I'm sure someone more experienced will have more helpful things to say.
My heater has a thermostat to regulate the temp so I cannot turn it up any higher than it already is. Without is room temp water in my house drops down to the high 60s or low 70s though, so 76-77* is about the best I can do :/

Everything I have read suggests just using AQ salt... should I be doing the AQ salt AND the medicine, or just try the AQ salt with daily water changes? I don't think the state of his fins are very bad at this point so I'm hoping the salt and water changes may clear it up pretty quickly.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:45 PM   #5 
xStatic

After observing my betta a bit more I'm worried his condition is worse than I initally thought! ): I can see a couple of his fin rays protruding from the rest of his dorsal fin and I also see a 1cm tear in his anal fin.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:58 PM   #6 
xStatic

Here are some photos! I tried as hard as I could to get good ones but he's been moving around a lot and most of them were blurry.

Here you can see the clear tissue and the black edge. You might also notice the slightly ragged edge.

In this picture you can see the rays extending from his dorsal fin! This worries me a lot as his dorsal fin was not in such a bad state as of a couple days ago ):
Old 06-17-2013, 01:50 PM   #7 
ANHEL123

Hmm are you sure those black adges not his normal coloration? Is it something new that he just got or he was like that when you got him a week ago?
About the tear on his dorsal fin ,could he damage them? Do you have any sharp plastic plants in his tank that he could caught on ?
The temperature that you have is perfectly fine ,do not raise the temperature. In fact the warmer is the temperature -more chance for the infections. 76* is perfect temperature.
How he behaving otherwise? Is he active and eating?
If he is acting healthy and you really think it not his normal coloration , but fin rot then i would treat him with aquarium salt ,but still have medications on hands just in case . Dark or discolored edges that are ''smudged'' is fin rot. Clear/translucent fins usually -healing fins though.

Salt instructions. Pre mix 2 tsp/gall , shake it well make sure there is no salt crystals left. You will need to do 100% daily water changes. You can treat him in his tank, just lower the water or you can treat him in the hospital tank. Now with his second day treatment you can increase the dose to 3tsp/gall.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:12 AM   #8 
xStatic

The black was present when I bought him and I assumed that was just part of his normal coloration, but originally his fins were not ragged and there was not quite as much of the clear tissue on his tail.

I would have suspected an aquarium plant could have tore his fin except almost all of his fins are looking ragged or reduced in size, not just his dorsal fin. His caudal and anal fin and both also ragged along the edges as well as the dorsal fin. I just bought some AQ salt and some stress coat. Should I just use the stress coat as a water conditioner along with the AQ salt or only be using the salt at this point?

Thanks for your help!
Old 06-18-2013, 01:31 AM   #9 
xStatic

Alright, I just got done with today's water change. I added 0.5 tsp of stress coat to his 2.5 gallon tank (per dosing instructions on bottle) as well as adding 1 tsp per gallon of AQ salt. His fins look to be about the same as they were before but not any worse. He's flaoting in a cup right now acclimating to water temp and I'll slowly start adding in a tsp of the new salted water at a time so he can slowly adjust to the new salinity and stress coat. I also threw in a couple drops of my usual water conditioner for good measure. The temp is still at about 77-78* for the most part and I'm hoping he'll be good to go in a few days! (-:
Old 06-18-2013, 02:08 AM   #10 
Dwarden3

77-78* is fine. Bettas can do well in 76-84. I try to keep my bettas at 82, but my sister has her betta in a 2.5 gal, and its temp stays at about 78; however, warmer water will speed up the healing process.
Dwarden3 is offline   Reply With Quote